Glueing a Jnat to a base - tips/suggestions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikedtran

Banned
Reaction score
What glue or compound to use for glueing a Jnat to a base?

Epoxy? Super glue? Rubber Cement?

Also any suggestions on good non-slip matting for the bottom of the wooden base or rubber feet?

I use a substance called bathroom silicone. It is really soft like tooth paste. For non-slip material I use a piece of what is used to hold smaller carpets away from sliding around the floor - a kind of material with a rubber coating.
- Kim

I was thinking about using that non-slip carpet material! Will have to look for that bathroom silicone =)

Thanks!

You should be able to get a caulking tube of silicone at a place like Home Depot or a similar store fairly easily. I've been debating for when/if the day comes to mount my Choseras whether to use silicone or epoxy, the former should be easier to remove if ever needed too

The silicones stays relatively soft (doesn´t harden) so it is possible to cut through it with a knife. This way the stones can be cut from the bases if needed.
- Kim

I have used epoxy and and as support 10mm thick hard PVC (not so heavy) or piece of counter-top material (that 'artificial stone' stuff). The idea with the silicone is interesting though.

I think a stable material like counter top offcuts are better for mounting as they will not swell or warp when exposed to moisture like wood can. I used 2 part epoxy and a piece of granite on my crumbling JKI 6000 S&G as a permanent fix. You can just use a wet rag for anti slip or something like this:

http://kk.org/cooltools/bumpons/

If I remember correctly, silicones react like acids until hardened. Some special purpose ones have different pH. I don't know whether this matters, but it might be worth a look.

Latest posts

Back