• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Carter 5.3 Sun RH-SFZG Funayuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vertigo

Slightly Less Hooligan
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey chaps,

This funky little devil is my brand-new, 5.3 sun (6.25" or 158.75mm) riveted Murray Carter SFGZ funayuki, in stainless laminated white steel.

carter1.jpg

USPS dropped it off on porch this afternoon and it has seen minimal use: two potatoes, an onion, two tomatoes, a sheet of paper, and a bit of arm hair. An extremely light patina has begun to form on the core, but nothing more.

The knife is very thin with a consistent convex grind; the scales are secure on the tang. The fundamentals of a great cutter are all met, and the knife performs exceptionally well (from the little I've seen). Beyond that though, this is a roughly finished and inexpensive knife from Murray Carter and should be regarded as such. It is, in every sense of the word, "rustic."

Retails new for $164.30 plus Murray's preposterous $15 shipping; since the little testing I did today meant putting the edge to some wood a few times and getting some color on the core, I'll ship it to your U.S. address for $140 PayPal.

You know, if you like the knife, it can be rehandled...just saying :)

It is a great little knife. Very thin, light, and stiff. Almost a mini-gyuto. Like I said the F&F is comical but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little TLC. And for $40 less than what it'd cost shipped NIB, for knife that's seen less than 10 minutes of use, it's a steal. So someone steal it already! :D

Too short for me, but the real shame is that it's 2 inches too short for my old lady. I would've loved surprise her with a rehandled Carter.

For those who need a small knife, this looks amazing!

My old lady has been telling me it's "two inches too short" since we started dating. :tooth:

And since this knife is being sold for the refund price I'd get after the restocking fee, I'm willing to take an "Or Best Offer" on it to avoid the embarrassment of actually returning a fully functional knife.

Latest posts

Back