Cooking anime? Hmmmm.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kreydor

Reaction score
Hey guys, I found a highly recommended cooking anime called Shokugeki No Soma (Food Wars). I don't know if anyone is interested in anime but it's interesting and passes the time.

It also teaches a little about cooking in most of the episodes. I thought I'd share the series in case someone wanted to check it out.

It is a little outlandish at times and the reactions to the food can be over-the-top but overall I've enjoyed the series so far.

So if you have the time, watch the first three episodes and share your opinions if you would like.

-Thomas

I have watched this and read the manga, it's excellent overall and has definatly improved my own culinary skills. I think you are watching season 2 as there are currently 27 episodes. Some of the food parings are interesting and I like how they introduced things like poele method and explain some of the history all whilst maintaining a shonen anime feel. Saying that I'm guessing this community is split on anime having 1/2 the community being younger and half being older individuals.

I haven't heard
of this anime, but its definitely next on my list!

I've enjoyed it so far. I'm on episode 7. It may be hazardous to my bank account to keep watching. All of the different methods, and combinations make me want to go buy a ton of ingredients to try cooking some of the dishes.

hiho!

i like it a lot since it gives some interesting infos about the correlation of the ingredients.
also since i watched it i use honey to marinate meat more soft! ;))

i inhaled the manga first and there are as mentionend lots of interesting things you can learn.. well his knifes are noname ;)) but i guess his dad gave him some katos ;))

the reactions of the judges are always very fear and loathing acid trip like after they taste food and go nuts ..

well megumi is the best ;)) !!

It's unrelated and there's not really any instruction in it, but there is a baking Anime too.

Yakitate!! Japan

"There's English bread, German bread and French bread, but Japan's bread, Japan does not exist. In that case, there's no choice but to create it."

When she breaks down the hanging fish, so epic, I've actually copied that curry dish that beat soma, minus the fresh holy basil. My only complaint is no kid is that skilled, they cook at 2-3 michelin star level for God sakes.

It sounds a lot like Cooking Master Boy. I will check it out.

Haven't heard of it before. Thanks for pointing it out.

Think it's great, and I'm not an anime/manga fan at all usually. Whatever was given as a food fact, I could put into the categories of "I don't know much about that topic" (meat and fish heavy stuff) or "I do, and the information given is accurate or likely to be so" (Hayama's spice techniques, Joichiro's stock, Alice's explanation on glutamic/inosinic acids.....) , nothing left for the "obvious BS/fiction" drawer.

I like how this show highlights the theme that any ordinary chore--that we all have performed--can be transformed into art if we inject it with the human spirit. I especially like how it elevates food prepared with care and craft through the use of boobs. Boobs are awesome.

@cyp450 I think the last aspect is exactly what it doesn't need (but gets away with having anyway... grade A5, no less) .. love the second season opening theme for hiding so much punk feel under a polished sound ... :)

It also seems to be on YT, absolutely no reason yet to link to (probably unsafe) third party portals.

Fair enough, hadn't found it on YouTube yet. FYI, new episodes air on Saturdays.

The missus and I got through season one and the first few episodes of season two and then kind of paused. The food-gasms were so funny. Is it worth watching the rest of season two?

The missus and I got through season one and the first few episodes of season two and then kind of paused. The food-gasms were so funny. Is it worth watching the rest of season two?

Yes, than read the manga, the cooking evolves nicely once you get into the elite 10(I'm a chef de partie and I still learn tons from it) it starts drawing you into somas internal battles and the comedy keeps it light and fulfilling to watch, I won't spoil anything but the plot does get a bit more serious later in the manga albeit never keeps the tense tone for more than a few chapters. In season two he stages with kojiro and it introduces amazing character development.

Yeah man, season 2 is solid as well

Urgh, now I need to seek out the manga XD

Well since you probably don't speak moonspeak your probably going to have to read it online. Super unethical but I need my soma fix.

I haven't really seen the anime but I've been reading the manga since it started.

I have crunchyroll, so I'm going to definitely watch this series. Can't wait, actually.

@foody518 don't worry, if you finish there are still Yakitate Japan! (manga and anime), Nobunaga No Chef (manga and live action dorama), Addicted to Curry (no anime i knew of), Iron Wok Jan (unfortunately, even scanlations of this one are scant :( )

Toriko too if you like ridiculously over the top story. It's basically dbz and food put together. There's also silver spoon, which is more about farming and food productions in Japan.

@foody518 don't worry, if you finish there are still Yakitate Japan! (manga and anime), Nobunaga No Chef (manga and live action dorama), Addicted to Curry (no anime i knew of), Iron Wok Jan (unfortunately, even scanlations of this one are scant :( )

Toriko too if you like ridiculously over the top story. It's basically dbz and food put together. There's also silver spoon, which is more about farming and food productions in Japan.

I love both of you

Back