Personalization is available

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Loftis

KKF Vendor
Reaction score
Hey folks, we've been getting quite a few requests for personalization of cutting boards, so I wanted to let you all know that's an option. I'm actually in the process of buying a used laser now (gulp).

We'll probably charge around $35 for this, and I expect most folks will use it for monogrammed initials or dates (wedding gifts etc). If it requires graphic arts time or if it's really large, that will cost more. There will be a learning curve for me, so we'll see how all this goes.

There will undoubtedly be some technical questions about this, many of which I won't be qualified to answer. The laser basically burns into the end grain of the wood, creating a recess approximately 1/32" deep. The burning darkens the wood, and shows up best in maple, second best in cherry, and not great in walnut. I wouldn't recommend doing food prep/chopping right on top of an engraved surface, because that would require a little extra cleaning every time you use it and the chopping would eventually degrade the engraving. So if you get a board engraved, I'd recommend either choosing a corner of the board that won't be chopped on, or getting a reversible board with no feet and using one side for display and one side for chopping.

We will be able to engrave logos, art, letters, numbers, etc. Copyrighted stuff will need official permission from copyright holder.

personalized boardsmith.JPG

I think this is a great option. But for initials, etc. it may be better to put it on the edge (like the BoardSmith logo) for the reasons you state.

I think this is a great option. But for initials, etc. it may be better to put it on the edge (like the BoardSmith logo) for the reasons you state.

Great idea! Unfortunately, the bed of the laser I'm buying doesn't drop down sufficiently to allow for edge engraving. I think this one has 6" of clearance. They do make models now that have a removable bed, allowing for engraving virtually any sized edge. But with the laser I'm getting, it's face or nada.

John - If this is all you're going to do, I think a cheaper Chinese laser would be the better choice. Trotec, Epilog, and Universal are all MUCH better machines but if this is the only thing you're gonna do a mainstream Chinese laser will do it just fine. Do not buy that 40 watt "thing" you see on eBAy...please.

Yes, figure out how to remove the bed and cook up a makeshift place to put the cutting board so you can engrave on the edge. Pretty easy I think!

I'll send you an email with a picture of that trophy I made using one of your cutting boards. If you remember, I was going to inlay the board but I had to give up on that. My laser tube croaked after several attempts so I had to go with what I had. Thankfully, I realized the tube was dying before I tried to inlay it...again. Started with a 2 inch board and ended up just barely over an inch. That's a lot of sanding with the equipment I have on hand....

John - If this is all you're going to do, I think a cheaper Chinese laser would be the better choice. Trotec, Epilog, and Universal are all MUCH better machines but if this is the only thing you're gonna do a mainstream Chinese laser will do it just fine. Do not buy that 40 watt "thing" you see on eBAy...please.

Yes, figure out how to remove the bed and cook up a makeshift place to put the cutting board so you can engrave on the edge. Pretty easy I think!

I'll send you an email with a picture of that trophy I made using one of your cutting boards. If you remember, I was going to inlay the board but I had to give up on that. My laser tube croaked after several attempts so I had to go with what I had. Thankfully, I realized the tube was dying before I tried to inlay it...again. Started with a 2 inch board and ended up just barely over an inch. That's a lot of sanding with the equipment I have on hand....

Great thoughts. I ended up getting a used (10 year old) epilog 75 watt. The customer treated that thing like his baby-- as well he should have, since the invoice showed he paid $35k for it new. I did a test run and it all works, just need to learn the laser now.

Back