Need something to read

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am running out of stuff to read, does anybody have some good tips? I like reading mysteries, thrillers etc. For relaxing and winding down, but it looks like I read all the good ones already... Open for other things, too, as long as the word 'romantic' doesn't appear anywhere...

Stefan

I am running out of stuff to read, does anybody have some good tips? I like reading mysteries, thrillers etc. For relaxing and winding down, but it looks like I read all the good ones already... Open for other things, too, as long as the word 'romantic' doesn't appear anywhere...

Stefan
Frank Herberts Dune series way better than the movie and I loved the movie.

I'm a bit off, in that I love comedic novels full of sarcasm and impossible situations, made possible by fiction. If you have any interest in books like i'm describing, you can't go wrong with Cristopher Moore, Jasper Fforde, Craig Ferguson and Tom Holt.

How about a James Ellroy novel? I love his hard-boiled detective stories. He wrote LA Confidential amongst others.

I'm a bit off, in that I love comedic novels full of sarcasm and impossible situations, made possible by fiction. If you have any interest in books like i'm describing, you can't go wrong with Cristopher Moore, Jasper Fforde, Craig Ferguson and Tom Holt.

What about Tom Robbins?

Or if you're obsessed with the South as I am, anything written by James Lee Burke is fantastic.

Tom Robbins...I'll look into his stuff! Thanks!

How about some food/kitchen/restaurant related reading?
Blood,bones and butter-Gabriella Hamilton
The devil in The Kitchen-Marco Pierre White
Heat- Bill Bruford
Kitchen Confidential-Anthony Bourdain

+ if you want a quick,funny read Sh@t My Dad says Justin Halpern

Stefan

hi, there are quite a few options
a) Apple eco system via itunes or ipad.. download the free e-books available
b) Via thepiratebay.org you can download ebooks of any topics you like! I once dloaded a file that had 4000 novels arranged by authors. as i rarely read novels..deleted it. tehy are all in .pdf format (adobe)

c) audio books via itunes.. this is interesting.. just play it and listen

d) Itunes - university.. so many lectures.. my interests is psychology and its subset/ off shoot fields as I am a little psycho..

as i ma partially blind in one eye recently.. i pad is nto a good form factor to me. really need a 30 inch monitors. currently using 2 x 24 inch monitors as characters has to be LARGE...

SO depends on your interests really.. it is all there for you and does not cost too much and can be free if you look for it..

have fun.. oh I dloaded wayne goddards e book about a 50 cent worskshop for knife makers..! that shld get your attention

rgds

dl

Heat- Bill Bruford

I enjoyed Anthony Bourdain's fiction. Mindless easy reads that will have you smile and nod your head at times.

-AJ

Your a psychologist, go back and make more sense of Jung.:dazed:

Collective unconscious/archaic remnants....great stuff...

But Margret Weiss also has some great stuff, Dragon Lance trilogy...and you can't go wrong with Terry Brooks and the original Shanarra trilogy.

Hmm, Deception Point and Digital Fortress from Dan Brown are good...I just re-read the Hot Zone by Richard Preston and it gives me the chills every time.

Heat- Bill Bruford

"The French Laundry Cookbook" by Thomas Keller - liked the 1st book :knight:

Plus 1 on James Lee Burke, even if you're not obsessed with the South (Ideally, these should be read in order of publication). Plus 1 on Christopher Moore ...quirky and funny...start with ....Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (That is, if you aren't offended by more than a little humor in the story of Christ, where he was all those years he disappeared from the scene. It helps if you're somewhat familiar with the Bible).

Also by Moore....the quirkiest of Vampire tales, about a couple of vampires in S.F. who are new to the vampire game....and have no clue what they are about. .Also better read in order.....Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story, You Suck: A Love Story , Bite Me: A Love Story. Also by Moore,

More Moore.....The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror. If you like Moore as much as I, you'll likely track them all down. ;-)

If you like Sci/Fi, space ship and such, try the Honor Harrington series by David Weber....keep you busy for a long time. Also Sci/Fi the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold.

I go crazy if I can't find a new author, who preferably has written a dozen or so, especially in a series.

But Margret Weiss also has some great stuff, Dragon Lance trilogy...and you can't go wrong with Terry Brooks and the original Shanarra trilogy.

+1; lord of the rings is also great if you haven't seen the movies

Robert B. Parker's Spenser series

Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series

John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series (The Prey Series) and the Kidd series

+1 for Lee Child's Jack Reacher series

Donald Hamilton's Matt Helm series (out of print)

Don't forget Stephen Hunter. I don't care for the whole series but I can read Point of Impact over and over and over.

-AJ

Great, thanks, there are some names I don't know, yet. I love the ones that come in series where ideally characters develop over time. I have pretty much read everything by Sandford, Pearson, Connelly, Deaver, Burke, Parker, Patterson, Coben, Lehane, Child, Kellerman, Hillerman, Stabenow, plus some of the older 70s classics. Also read Dexter, Rankin, Francis and a few more fron Britain as well as the ones by Larsson, Mankell, Sjowall & Wahloo from Skandinavia. Actually, I re-read many of them, and in my desperation I even read stuff by Woods, Baldacci or Tannenbaum... Looks like I can read much faster than these guys can write ;) I love Startrek but have never been a huge sci-fi person, but I only read some Aasimov and Clarke 30something years ago, maybe I should give that a try again. Which reminds me of another one, something like hitchhiking through the galaxy, have to look that up, never read it. Read Lord of the rings as a teenager in German, might be worth reading it again in English, even if I saw the movies.

I'll follow up on some of the names mentioned, but if you can think of anything else, please let us know.

Stefan

What about Tom Robbins?

Tom Robbins is more than "a bit off." :whistling:

Just re-read "Even Cowgirls get the Blues" and then 'Skinny Legs and All" which I missed first time around. Love his stuff - inspired lunacy.

James

Hmm, for the truly sick (which we all are) how about Hunter S. Thompsen?

Read Lord of the rings as a teenager in German, might be worth reading it again in English, even if I saw the movies.

I'll follow up on some of the names mentioned, but if you can think of anything else, please let us know. Stefan

A long, long time ago - in a place not too far away a guy suggested I read the Lord of the Rings. He read it in German and said it should be ok even in English :biggrin:
My kids and I read the books and have the dvds, in English :happyyes:

Lee child...

Or naval history series...Alexander Pope, Dudley Kent write some great stuff and both are series.

WEB Griffiths write great stuff also in series.

.... Which reminds me of another one, something like hitchhiking through the galaxy, have to look that up, never read it....

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams.

It's an absolutely must read!

It's a four part trilogy:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe and Everything
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Well, apparently there's a "fifth book in the increasingly inaccurately named Hitchhikers Trilogy" (I haven't read this one):
Mostly Harmless
But it doesn't seem to be as universally loved as the first four.

Back