Shipping Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmu

Reaction score
Hi all

I need to send my Tanaka Ironwood 210 to Dave to have a small chip taken out and be sharpened - I have a voucher

What is the best way to ship this (I live in the UK) and what sort of cost is involved ?

Anybody from the UK had experience of this ?

Thanks

Are you going to have to pay duty on it when it gets sent back to you from the States?

You know those cylinder things they use to ship posters or rolled up stuff? they work pretty well... just wrap your knife up with newspaper or something, wrap it with bubble wrap, put it inside the cylinder thing... and you're good to go...

Those cylinders are great, worry free, reusable and tough as all hell!

Okay, while we are on this topic, do you guys use cylinders to ship longer knives (270's and 300's)? Those dang ready ship boxes accomodate up to 240mm max,

Make sure to protect the tip well (e.g. sticking it into a winecork or something like that).

Okay, while we are on this topic, do you guys use cylinders to ship longer knives (270's and 300's)? Those dang ready ship boxes accomodate up to 240mm max,

I use a local shipping service that custom makes boxes to size, its a little more expensive but worth it IMO

I bet they have longer ones... like the ones they use to ship posters... Or even the cylinders that architects use to store blueprints.... I bet you can find longer sizes with those....

And if its too long, just stuff it first with crumpled newspaper or something... :D

pvc pipe with two end caps and some small screws drilled in the sides to hold it all together works great. indestructible. postal service may think it is a bomb though.

I have never shipped a knife from the UK to the US and back but I find this thread interesting in case I ever get a knife rehandled. To the OP, you try just ringing Parceforce? It is hard to find info about all the customs regulations

The pvc tube idea sound ideal. The cardboard ones from good post offices are pretty good. For a big knife get a big tube and trim it down. Leave a good 2 inches either end for end padding. I like to tape the edge and tip when sending knives. To stop the knife cutting through its wrapping and to protect the person opening it.

I sent off a knife this way just last week - PostPak Tube ($5.00); knife securely wrapped in bubblewrap before inserting into the tube and three balls of newspaper stuffed in both ends.

In addition to all of the suggestions above, cut a rectangular piece of plywood(I like 6mm stuff for this to keep the wieght down) and tape it to the blade butted up against the bolster(the wood should be a bit longer than the blade) this will prevent the tip from poking through or the edge coming through.
I like masking tape for this(don't use duct tape,Dave will threaten me with serious bodily harm) it comes off easily with not trouble. A good sturdy box tightly packed(you should feel comfortable with your packing to drop the box on the floor with no worries) close the ends and shake, if anything moves inside then pack it a bit tighter.
Del

I just sent Dave a knife wrapped up in Success Magazine in a prority envelope. It got there just fine!

Back