Two types of knives; what's yours?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kreydor

Reaction score
If you had to use only two types of knives for the rest of your cooking days what would you use?

Gyuto, and nakiri?
Santoku, and parer?
Maybe a different combination entirely?

Pics are welcome along with discussion of your particular choice!

Gyuto and some kind of tougher boning/petty knife.

270 short gyuto 46-48 mm tall 120/130 mm petty. Purely for utility. If I can have a veg peeler, I'd up that to a 150mm petty.

Of my current stock, For Professional Cooking Days

- 240 Kikuichi TKC (Old Style) - Thin, but sturdy as F, holds a edge real well. Can hammer out a heavy ass shift and don need to baby it
- Bloodroot Pettysuki - Can cover light butchering and precision stuff

225 - 250mm gyuto and 90mm parer.

I rarely use anything else as it is.

210-270mm gyuto and 12-15mm petty depending in your preference and prep space.

240mm gyuto and 12,5mm petty was all I used for ten years in the pro kitchen. Although 15mm would've been a little more versatile. I used to use a gyuto about 99% of the time.

The only thing more I would maybe have needed would have been a bread knife, but every place I worked always had plenty of those so never actually needed one.

this is pretty tough. 240/270 and a petty of some sort is a decent combo, honesuki would be better though as you can sort of double duty light breaking and smaller finesse work, however, if we're taking professional environments into account the reality of breaking down animals kicks in and you start thinking about a 240 or maybe even 210 gyuto and something heavier to break fish poultry pork etc down with... Pretty tough really. I get by all day without a petty for the moment, only time that becomes a pisser is the odd day in three months we get cherry tomatoes in.

A 225-240 gyuto and a 150 petty. Alternatively a 195-210 gyuto would still be small and nimble enough that I could do tip work in the hand provided there's decent distal taper, so would sub the petty for something more robust but that could still function as a petty if desired

If I get to keep only 2 knives.
Itinomonn 150mm ss petty (love it)
&
toyama 240mm gyuto

240 gyuto and a 180 gyuto. I can't remember the last time I needed a petty, but I am a rustic home cook. A 3rd knife would be a bone chopper, for Chinese style poultry (kind of cuisine specific, I know, but I don't know any substitutes, and I am partial to my Chinese roast meats...!)

Probably a 220-240 gyuto and a 90 parer...
But right now now I'm trying out a 220 chuka and 150 petty as my only two. I must say I haven't run into anything I've felt I couldn't handle with these two. I'm actually wondering what I'd choose between the gyuto-parer and the chuka-petty. But as always: good thing we don't have to choose.

Mizuno Tanrenjo carbon chuka and Tsourkan aeb-l petty

I pretty much use my 270 gyuto and 120 petty for everything as it is. I have a bread knife and a parer that see occasional action, but if I couldn't use them I doubt I'd miss them.

240 gyuto and a 180 gyuto. I can't remember the last time I needed a petty, but I am a rustic home cook.

+1

Edit: Pettys are nice but I rarely use them. Like to have one knife for the large board and one for the small board. And I have a 45 mm tall 180 gyuto that I really like.

Back