Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Help - I HATE my omelet pan- the steel pan thread

Help - I HATE my omelet pan- the steel pan thread

I have a 7 year old set of wolfgang puck pans (wedding gift) that has served me pretty well.

All stainless construction, riveted on handles, nice heavy bottoms.

I have only recently started making omelets regularly as my wife doesn't really care for eggs but due to diet can't have her normal breakfast fare (pancakes, oatmeal, granola cereal, etc)

so enter the 8" omelet pan from wolfgang,

I've tried everything I can think of and it STILL sticks to the dang pan.
    doesn't help that my range top is a 15 year old solid element style that really doesn't understand lower heats.

is there a consistent way to season or oil the pan that could help me out, or should I go invest in a nonstick just for omelets???

If you never want to buy another pan, pick up a De buyer carbon steel pan- only gets better over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    If you never want to buy another pan, pick up a De buyer carbon steel pan- only gets better over time.
    +1 this is my go-to pan for eggs. Also it helps to let the eggs sit a little so they're not so cold from the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by cannibal View Post
    +1 this is my go-to pan for eggs. Also it helps to let the eggs sit a little so they're not so cold from the fridge.
    Couple questions -
    A: would you specifically recommend the Blue Steel pan or would any of their carbon pans do just as well?
    B: where would I look for a good vendor?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Sweet, I'd never heard that before.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Why would you want lower heats? The trick to keeping your omelets from sticking (and to making them light and fluffy) is ripping high heat.

I can't add anything new to the carbon steel recommendations, but you might want to look into carbolose flour. It supposedly has 80% less carbohydrates than regular flour, and might allow your wife to have her pancakes in the morning:

http://www.netrition.com/tova_carbalose_page.html

those are not bad pans. a trick to those is put them in a 400 degree deep fryer and it will make seasoning them much easier.

i prefer cast iron for almost anything. if you are just looking for something that doesn't stick, any non-stick omelette pan will work from sears or bed,bath,and beyond. it sounds like a little more practice will do you wonders.

it takes people a long time to learn correct heat and oiling techniques to make great omelettes. check out a few youtube videos and consider keeping you pans and save some money

Quote Originally Posted by StephanFowler View Post
    Couple questions -
    A: would you specifically recommend the Blue Steel pan or would any of their carbon pans do just as well?
    B: where would I look for a good vendor?

Sweet, I'd never heard that before.

They have 2 lines of product, I have never used the heavier and 10X more expensive one but did hear very good things from a couple of pro's who were in JB prince when I purchased one of mine.They were over the moon about them.

I heard from a member that world food(?) has great buys on this pan.

Found a photo of it new-
    Last edited by Jim; 03-08-2011 at 12:17 PM.

I have both the force blue and carbone plus, i would suggest the blue line since it's easier to care for and will work better with your flat top range since it's thinner. you can get them pretty cheap from costplus world market. they go on sale from time to time. i picked up the force blue crepe pan for 9 bucks the last time they were on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    those are not bad pans. a trick to those is put them in a 400 degree deep fryer and it will make seasoning them much easier.

i prefer cast iron for almost anything. if you are just looking for something that doesn't stick, any non-stick omelette pan will work from sears or bed,bath,and beyond. it sounds like a little more practice will do you wonders.

it takes people a long time to learn correct heat and oiling techniques to make great omelettes. check out a few youtube videos and consider keeping you pans and save some money

gotcha, I kept having problems with burning and sticking no matter how hot I let it get so I assumed it was either technique or temp control