ever seen a cleakiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berko

Reaction score
last year during a private passaround with wastl (sharpchef) i ironically suggested him to forge a full size cleaver for me if he became bored during his peak season. contrary to what i expected he seriously started making that knife, but then i didnt hear back after the blade had cracked during heat treatment.

two month ago, when i had already completely forgotten about it, i got a mail from him that he had made use of the leftovers to form the first cleakiri ever ;)
overall he left it REALLY rustic to not waste too much time with it, but i thought the outcome was still worth showing since we dont see knifes with that kind of profile very often:

the blade is 225x70 at 270g, c70 steel at ~60 hrc if i remember correctly. the handle is made from walnut burl out of his garden.

so i took the knife to work to test it and at first i thought it had to much belly to chop with. but indeed it just lacks a little height to use it like i usually do with cleavers. the long profile took some time to adjust, but after that i seriously started to have fun with it. actually it feels more like a gyuto without a tip than like a cleaver or a nakiri. unfortunately the steel is nuthing fancy, too less carbide forming alloying elements to hold the edge for a whole shift where i work. also, the handle could be a little bigger to balance the knife more, but the grind is good enough to make it a fun toy to play around with!

Really cool I've only seen a few like this. A shig, kato at 210 and a 220ish haburn. I'd love something like that, wish takeda or robin would jump on this. Cleavers are super fun, any day I'm getting bored at work I switch out for one. The ultra rustic approach is very sutible for such a blade as well.

I like it! I have a similar knife I brought back from my last Thailand this is that half way between a nakiri and a cleaver size that I have found works well for me. It has a straighter edge so I use it more when is a lot of slicing to be done.

Cool looking knife. I like the rustic look of it. Grind looks pretty good too. As you said, I bet it is fun to take out once in a while and just chop chop chop.

Back