Recommendation: Petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this ain't sexy, but I realized that while I have something like 12 (I guess) Gyutos, the one Petty I use is the "probably VG10 stainless whatever hammered something rebranded a million ways purchased for too much at Korin" one I gave my wife some time ago when I was still pretty much clueless about knives, but still started to buy them as presents (full disclosure: I usually buy other stuff for my wife, but she wanted one [emoji6])

So here we go, time to buy one for myself [emoji6]

USA

KNIFE TYPE

Petty (150 mm to 180 max)

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese

Either, doesn't really matter for a petty in my book

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

150-180mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

I prefer stainless or semi-stainless for petty, yes. But it's not a MUST

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

$200

KNIFE USE

Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

Light board work, cutting fruit and detail work, maybe some cheese at table

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

None really, have a cheapo Tadafusa petty that I never use

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2023-Kitchen-Knife-Glossary#grip"]LINK for the common types of grips.)

Pinch... But not sure with Petty, tbh

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2023-Kitchen-Knife-Glossary#cuttingmotion]LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Slice in this case, tip work

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Edge retention is important. I don't want to sharpen a petty even more than it already needs to he sharpened if I can avoid it ;)

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

End grain and hi soft

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes

Takamura 150 r2 powdered steel lazer. Cool red pakkawood handle. 60-70 below budget. For a bit more you can get a hsps line or a dammy version.

Ideal petty is carbon nogent from the Best Things...you'll have enough leftover to make it a bakers dozen of gyutos.

Takamura 150 r2 powdered steel lazer. Cool red pakkawood handle. 60-70 below budget. For a bit more you can get a hsps line or a dammy version.

That Takamura is on my list for sure... In general. I'm just not sure if I shouldn't go for the Gyuto. Hmmm... Or maybe get the petty first and then the Gyuto if I like it? LOL

I really like my Takamura Gyuto. It had the sharpest OOTB sharpness (hanging hair splitting) I've experienced so far, and stays sharp really long. It comes with a pretty small edge angle (18 overall) so it's good to put a microbevel on it right away. I didn't do that and hat some tiny (invisible to the eye) microchip soon on one spot. It sharpened really quickly and since then just holds it's edge. Also considering getting the petty as it's really a lot of bang for the buck.

Yoshikane SLD - we have one in 150 (with handle by Dave) and it is awersome - a really stiff blade. But I would not mind SKD either. I would also check out the Itinomonn stainless clad V1 in 165 size (not sure about availability though).

I think a PM steel would be a good choice. Leaning towards Takamura or the Akifusa... Yoshikane is nice and all, but I only found the Dammy SLD online and that is way over budget [emoji6]

There's that zdp petty by sukenari that might interest you... Sukenari specials pages over at JCK ... I think it's just shy of 200?

I think a PM steel would be a good choice. Leaning towards Takamura or the Akifusa... Yoshikane is nice and all, but I only found the Dammy SLD online and that is way over budget [emoji6]

I apologise - I have missed the quoted budget. But do check out Yoshikane SKD hammered series - that knife would definitely fit the budget.

I apologise - I have missed the quoted budget. But do check out Yoshikane SKD hammered series - that knife would definitely fit the budget.

No Prob. I actually always liked the look of the hammered one. That, a Takamura R2 (probably Gyuto) and the Kochi K-Tip Gyuto are on my list right now... After that I need new ideas LOL

I just ordered a teruyasu fujiwara 150 petty. the knife is a bit rough, no f&f, but the heat treatment of the shirogami 1 is supposed to be great and cuts great. For 70$ with free shipping its a great deal.

I just ordered a teruyasu fujiwara 150 petty. the knife is a bit rough, no f&f, but the heat treatment of the shirogami 1 is supposed to be great and cuts great. For 70$ with free shipping its a great deal.

Where did you get it?

I have a TF Nakiri. I know different knives, but yes: the F&F isn't great, but it gets stupid sharp...

I bought a 210mm Gesshin Ginga petty a few months back, and it quickly became one of my all-time favorites. Great F&F, really nimble, thin, insanely light and fun to use. I can't imagine the 180mm petty being dramatically different, and it's under your budget, available in either wa or yo, and in stainless.

Where did you get it?

I have a TF Nakiri. I know different knives, but yes: the F&F isn't great, but it gets stupid sharp...

Cleancut has the standard Western handle version. I bought one with octagonal handle via his website.

The shibata kotetsu 150mm petty is also pretty sweet.

if it were me ... i would get
1. Takamura R2 petty --- its a little too lazer-ish to use "off the board" though ( my thoughts ) good price though
2. Zkramer R2 petty - probably my next purchase petty
3. Teruyasu Mabaroshi
:funfunfunfun::my2cents:

I use $1.00/mm as a rough price expectation for solid petty. In that neighbourhood are offerings from Gesshin, Suisin, Tad. Had all three, like them all. GG and Tad have engraved kanji, Suisin has the nicest handle

I would not look beyond stainless for a petty but then in Fla I see a lot of citrus and acidic foods. 180 is the perfect length but you probably know that:cool2:

Currently use a Marko for protein trimming and an early Haburn for everything. Bit of a splurge but hey, make a lot of Arnold Palmers down here.

Back