Quantcast
Mighty Gyuto for ~ $200 Ideas?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mighty Gyuto for ~ $200 Ideas?

Mighty Gyuto for ~ $200 Ideas?

I have the knife itch again and find myself wanting a mighty gyuto to complement my TKC. I'm really leaning towards the Takagi at JWW, but the A-type seems nice as well.

So A-type vs Takagi Honyaki; what do you guys think? Also open to other suggestions.

Might as well fill this out now so you guys can help me a bit.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? 240 mm gyuto that's on the mightier side.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? Complement TKC and heck, I just want another knife

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    Aesthetics- pretty is nice, but not necessary
    Edge Quality/Retention-preferably pretty good
    Ease of Use-as long as it has some straight section, I'll be ok
    Comfort-I like the spine+choil smoothed, but I can do this myself; I don't mind handles that are blockier

What grip do you use? Pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Push cut+rock chop for herbs

Where do you store them? On my cutting board although I should get a magnetic knife strip for my dorm room; they do have edge guards on though.

Have you ever oiled a handle?Yes

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? end grain

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? I just strop it on my stone.

Have they ever been sharpened? Yes

What is your budget? $250

What do you cook and how often? Veggie soups, assorted seared meats

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? Japanese knives are cool, but once again, open to suggestions

I live near JWW and regularly go there to look at Takagis. The fit and finish on them is so bad that I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. As an example, last weekend I looked at a 240mm gyuto where the blade came out of the handle at about a 15 degree angle. It might be fixable, but I'll let someone else do it. If that kind of thing doesn't bother you, they're supposed to be good knives for the money.

I just got a Yoshikane Gyuto 240 mm with the hammered finish. Costs $259.00 at Epicurean Edge. It is beautiful, flawless, and a dream to use. That's my two cents.

Cheers,

Jack

Tanaka Ginsanko gets my vote. F+F issues to be sure, but with the money you save you get buy sand paper and still have enough left over to be most of the way to a pimp handle upgrade.

Edit: Oh, or a Zakuri! Things a tank and has no major F+F issues. Cuts great too!

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13167

This might be just what you're looking for. I've had one for several years and, for the price, it's a real bargain.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Ahhh too bad the Zakuri isn't in stock. I'll check out the yoshi, ginsanko and artisan/akifusa. I heard that the akifusa has a wimpy handle though and @wsfarrel, I would prob get a rehandle on that thing down the line; not too fond of the plastic ferrule

Quote Originally Posted by jackslimpson View Post
    I just got a Yoshikane Gyuto 240 mm with the hammered finish. Costs $259.00 at Epicurean Edge. It is beautiful, flawless, and a dream to use. That's my two cents.

Cheers,

Jack
    I'll vote for a Yoshikane SKD as well.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

My initial thought was A-type unless you're left-handed, lol. It isn't a beast mainly because it's short heel to spine @ ~45mm and comes with a very light handle. One thing to keep in mind is I've seen some that are downright thin. Mine was fairly chunky (and still is a little after I put a very large convex bevel up the front side of the blade. There's a used 270mm Yoshikane on sale at KF that I'm thinking about getting myself. Now there is a real BEAST. I'd also consider Yoshihiro, if you don't mind stainless. It isn't the heftiest knife but it ain't no laser, either.

Have you considered a Misono Swedish Carbon? Some belly, nicely curved, great F&F.

ahhh I would love to get the A-type; I'll see what I decide a bit later on. A member at KF pmed me offering to sell his and I'll look at some pics first. The takagi had a glowing review at KF as well