Quantcast
Mighty Gyuto for ~ $200 Ideas? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mighty Gyuto for ~ $200 Ideas?

The 240 Takagi is the most sturdy gyuto I own - it is shown on the left with Stefan's handle, sharpened by Dave and on a Boardsmith board. Feels like I am using a serious knife

Son has an otb Yoshikane SKD - also sturdy and a favorite with his friends who barbecue and they ask to use that knife

If you buy an Aritsugu Type A get it from Mark at CKTG...he gets them professionally sharpened which is the ONLY way to buy a type A.... Trust me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I'll vote for a Yoshikane SKD as well.
    +1. There was some discussion a while back about SKD being hard to sharpen or the burr being a b*tch to remove or something. Never found that to be an issue. It's one of my 'go to' knives.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jeff View Post
    If you buy an Aritsugu Type A get it from Mark at CKTG...he gets them professionally sharpened which is the ONLY way to buy a type A.... Trust me on this.
    I went that route and I was less than thrilled with the sharpening job.

If I were to get another A-Type, I would set my bevel with my Sigma Power Select-II #240 (which I did not have when I got my first taste of Gokinko-A). This stone is the "Mother of all Steel Removers". Before, I had to do it on my Chocera #400 and that took over an hour, IIRC.

My preferred progression for abrasive-resistant blades:
    1. Sigma Power Select-II #240
    2. Sigma Power (soft type) #1000
    3. Suehiro Rika
    4. Sigma Power 'Synthetic Renge Suita' #6000

^ All very fast-cutting stones.

Finish with Kitayama or Naniwa SS#10K. Or skip and go straight to sillicon carbide-loaded strop.

I love my Takagi,gets crazy sharp and stays that way.The one I received was not "might" which was fine by me.I can't say it has the greatest profile but that crazy sharp edge make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jeff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    I went that route and I was less than thrilled with the sharpening job.
    +1 to 99Limited.

One of the main reasons my basically brand new A-type sees very little use is I have not gotten around to fixing the over ground and under ground sections in the "professional" sharpening and thinning job. Surfers dream of waves like this. Get fast cutting stone like some of the ones Seb suggested, and DIY it. Can't be any worse.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I have the Yoshi SKD 240mm, and it was my first Japanese knife -- I still use it a lot (although with my Konosuke Chuka newly arrived, it's getting less love these days). I don't find it very hard to sharpen -- I much prefer it to my Shuns (which feel like nails on a chalkboard to me), but it was a learning curve, for a while I couldn't get it very sharp and I think my problem was two-fold: 1) I went 50/50 with the bevel, the blade is ground 30/70, so stick with his angles; and 2) I think I was getting a little bit of that deburring issue, some rock felt took that problem away.

I also own a Takagi honyaki nakiri; this knife takes an absurdly sharp edge (the only knife I've gotten my noob sharpening skills to hair popping sharp -- I was so excited I showed my wife... who was less than impressed.. haha..), and I find it easier to sharpen than the SKD. It also patinas very nicely and isn't too reactive.

I think I would lean towards the Yoshi if you're looking for a mighty gyuto, mine is 4mm above the heel (but tapers nicely in the tip), and I've done some pretty intense thinning of the shoulders to get it preforming to my liking.

Just ordered the takagi! for some reason, the aesthetics of the yoshikane drove me away...not really too fond of that scalloped look. Thanks for all the help guys; I hope someone finds use in this topic later on

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Edit - redacted.