Sharing a FAILURE

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
004-50.jpg

011-17.jpg

009-28.jpg

009-29.jpg

So I always use T88 epoxy but for some dumba$$ reason I used something else.I had a gap at the back joint and the epoxy that I dyed black dried gray:slaphead::slaphead: I hate scrapping handles :sad0: I stopped sanding after 220, did not want to waste sand paper on top of tossing a handle.

Dang...that would have been good looking handle too.

Although I guess I can't really see the flaw from the photo, sell it as a 2nd to put on a Carter.

I hate it when products fail, but I don't think that handle needs to be scrapped. Cut through the seam with a good razor saw, or whatever mechanical means in your shop that has the best finest kerf blade. Flatten and reattach with a the T88 go for an invisible seam so you don't have to worry about matching the other epoxy. You shouldn't loose more than a mm. in length. If the handle was to be to a customers specs than you'll still have to make a new one that meets their precise requirements, but otherwise that handle is attractive and perfectly functional after the bad join is addressed. Put it on another knife and sell it for what it is - an attractive handle.

Are you insane man! if you don't want it i will be your garbage can....

010-21.jpg

Here's a close up......NOT WINNING:lol2:

Though I share your sentiment, I would say, put it to a vote and see how many folks here think it's a failure. Think how many people like different color liners in their handle. The grey stuff can easily pass for one. On that scale, it is practically unnoticeable too.

Did you try to do Rader-type end cap?

M

I like imperfections. As a Native American we intentionally leave flaws or make a very subtle mistake on our work, because man isn't perfect only the Creator is. Send it my way and I will honor it.
:indian::bow28:

Man that is pretty!

Here is the plan, sell it to anyone over 45, they would never see that "glaring defect" .:wink:

You can't scrap that, on the close up picture the handle measures ~80mm across and that little epoxy seam is ~1mm high.
Finish the handle and put it on a blade, it's too pretty to go in the bin. :)

thats too bad. i can understand your wanting to scrap it but it sure looks way better then a stock handle.

maybe just do a giveaway or something. someone that may not normally upgrade their stock ho handle to a very nice handle.

Although I understand you Mario I have to agree with the other guys that this is way too nice to scrap. It either needs a re-work like jmwhite suggested or just ignore it because like dough said, "it sure looks way better then a stock handle"

So don't chuck this one in the bin! :)

I hate when that happens, but I would still consider it tolerable from what I see in your picture. I still think I have yet to make a perfect handle, every one of them has a little something that could have been better. After spending a few hours with them, you see much more flaws than anybody else ever would.
My 2 cts,

Stefan

004-50.jpg

011-17.jpg

009-28.jpg

009-29.jpg

So I always use T88 epoxy but for some dumba$$ reason I used something else.I had a gap at the back joint and the epoxy that I dyed black dried gray:slaphead::slaphead: I hate scrapping handles :sad0: I stopped sanding after 220, did not want to waste sand paper on top of tossing a handle.
I'll buy it right now. pm me

Thanx for the offer Sachem but I don't make handles for sale.I just make them for my own knives.

I've always thought you were a little crazy. This just confirms it. ;)

Thanx for the offer Sachem but I don't make handles for sale.I just make them for my own knives.

You don't have to sell it. I'll make sure you never see it again, for FREEEEEEEEEE. PM if interested.

Now *that* sounds like an offer that will make both parties very happy ;)

I'm Sad now. work like that should be shared.:sad0: I was very serious about the offer, but I understand.:thumbsup:

There Mario, you did it, now I am thinking about trashing handles for the same reason, too... :bashhead:

P1020503 by mgapicius, on Flickr

Not sure how that happened, the mokume endpiece is connected with a hidden pin, and maybe the pin was just a faction of a mm too long, now there is a thin glue line. There are also some tiny burn specs, this light horn just burns when you only get it anywhere near a belt sander. May have to do that one again...

Stefan

There Mario, you did it, now I am thinking about trashing handles for the same reason, too... :bashhead:

P1020503 by mgapicius, on Flickr

Not sure how that happened, the mokume endpiece is connected with a hidden pin, and maybe the pin was just a faction of a mm too long, now there is a thin glue line. There are also some tiny burn specs, this light horn just burns when you only get it anywhere near a belt sander. May have to do that one again...

Stefan

:lol2:

Personally i like it. give more of a contrast between the pieces

Back