D. Martell Masamoto Reconditioned

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
This knife came in for a deep reconditioning spa treatment. Specifically I was tasked with making it "certified pre-owned" plus a few tweaks were added a well. I was happy to oblige. :)

Here's the list of what was done....

• Profile flattened
  • Tip repaired - made more pointy
  • Blade thinned, cleaned, & polished
  • Spine/choil rounded
  • Sharpened
  • Handle & saya sanded/cleaned

This knife is now as close to new as I can make it. The lighting is crap here today so the pictures aren't so great but hopefully you can see some difference in the before and after shots.

Masamoto Refurb.jpg

P1010021.JPG

Beautiful work. Honestly it looks better than the new ones at jck.

Even the before looks better than my knives... Nice work, Dave.

Stefan

Beautiful work. Honestly it looks better than the new ones at jck.

Thanks Evan :)

Did the old ones not come with spine&choil rounded?

Actually yes they do, and I wondered how much better I had to do to make them round enough for this customer to be happy if this wasn't what he was looking for. So I pushed it as far as I could which is twice as round as they came.

Even the before looks better than my knives... Nice work, Dave.

Stefan

Thanks Stefan :)

Yeah it's the lighting for sure. The actual finish is a brushed satin type look, although shiny.

Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

Unless Dave is using Photoshop, the finish on that KS sure looks a lot nicer than mine did out-of-the-box.

Lars

I think you should just make a Martell KS. Let’s make some dreams come true!

Unless Dave is using Photoshop, the finish on that KS sure looks a lot nicer than mine did out-of-the-box.

Lars

That's easily as good as a new one Dave. Great spa treatnent!

As good as new? Knowing Dave's work makes me say that I am sure it is WWWAAAYYY nicer than a new one!:viking:

Thanks guys, you're all to kind. :)

Back