Aw heck, how do I fix this?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kippington

A small green parrot
Reaction score
I've been given a serrated knife to sharpen. Someone else has tried before me...

I'm really not sure how to go about tackling this beast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hjYd0k5.jpg

Woz7miS.jpg

Looks like someone tried using a drill to sharpen it. The grooves are all messed up. You would have to individually sharpen and file down the grooves using some sort of tool. A thin rod wrapped in 200-400 grit sand paper maybe?

I've used an old rough stone that was worn thin. Taking it on its side and rounding the edges for the grooves to fit over.

But it's quite difficult to sharpen a bread knife

Not to sound too negative but that looks seriously damaged by the earlier attempt/s. Is the purchase price of the knife worth the effort involved in trying to rectify it? The Guedes are still on special (mine's coming) and even a basic no-name would seem a reasonable option - eBay for starters maybe even BigW, K-Mart or supermarkets.

I think I would almost start out with a chainsaw file to even things out a little and then move on to the dowel or metal rod with sandpaper. That is a lot to tackle for someone else's knife though.

Back