Quantcast
Looking for a Yanagiba - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Yanagiba

Thanks Phan. I wasn't sure which white steel the Masamoto was, the Korin website is pretty vague. I am going to be in the city in a couple weeks and will try to get to Korin while I am there. I will probably get either the Masamoto Kasumi or Yoshihiro from Jon when he gets back from vacation.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I work in western kitchens, but do break down whole fish and would like a yanagi for butchering, skinning and portioning. I am leaning towards 270mm. Not looking to spend a ton, as I won't be using it a ton, but don't mind buying something mid range. Suggestions? Or comments on the ones below? Anything else I should look at?.................
    I would prefer a saya and a decent handle. I might get it rehandled at some point, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Thanks.
    < for butchering, skinning and portioning.>
    consider the Yoshihiro 210mm White #2 Mioroshi Deba with Ho Wood Octagon Handle and Saya that Jon has for $250 ? http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...oshi-deba.html

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Thanks Phan. I wasn't sure which white steel the Masamoto was, the Korin website is pretty vague. I am going to be in the city in a couple weeks and will try to get to Korin while I am there. I will probably get either the Masamoto Kasumi or Yoshihiro from Jon when he gets back from vacation.
    If you are going to be in town I recommend the Japanese Culinary Center. They have an amazing selection of knives at very reasonable prices.

Japanese Culinary Center

711 Third Ave. NYC, NY 10017
    (Entrance on 45th St. between Second and Third avenues)

Tel. 212.661.3333

Fax. 212.661.3335

Email. JCC@nymtc.com

Thanks Sachem, I knew there was another place but I had forgotten the name.

And thanks for including their fax number, haha.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I cannot agree with the fellow members about the size of the knife.
    I think 300 is so called standard, but hey, are You standard?
    Its just about the preference, and it would be good for you to check for yourself.
    Definitely 300 gives you a lot more space in terms of comfort, much more than the 3cm itself. Its also heavier, so slicing feels somehow different. Better? I would be very careful about saying that, but i like the feeling.

Now, the 270. It just feels different. But how? Lighter, faster, more connected with hand... Hard to describe, but for me I can use it both at home and at work, so its more versatile, where 300 is just too big for my tight home-kitchen.

So maybe wiser would be 270? To start with?
    Think also, do you make enough fish to constantly use it at work, or will it get some action at home?

I have the masamoto kasumi 300 and im very satisfied, I love the profile and the balance between the tip and flatness. Its great cutter and it really gets oh-boy an edge.
    However the blade wasnt completely straight when it came and also the heel was overgrown. FF way worse than kichikuni 270 from ebay, but definitely better edge. [and its the same price range]

Most yanagibas are measured from machi, so a 300 most likely has a bladelength like a 285 western suji.

am i the only one who prefers my yanagi for skinning??

i think it works wonders and find the bevel is helpful in most cases. i wouldn't mind getting a 270mm suji for doing things with a lot of pin-bones or large belly bones.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    If you are going to be in town I recommend the Japanese Culinary Center. They have an amazing selection of knives at very reasonable prices.

Japanese Culinary Center

711 Third Ave. NYC, NY 10017
    (Entrance on 45th St. between Second and Third avenues)

Tel. 212.661.3333

Fax. 212.661.3335

Email. JCC@nymtc.com
    +1. They are the retail outlet for NY Mutual Trading Co., who just happen to be hosting a show on Oct. 8. Lots of knives, stones & other goodies & samples. Wish I could go again this year.

Register here (free): http://www.nymtc.com/

They carry Tsukiji Masamoto as well. It's worth the trip.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    am i the only one who prefers my yanagi for skinning??

i think it works wonders and find the bevel is helpful in most cases. i wouldn't mind getting a 270mm suji for doing things with a lot of pin-bones or large belly bones.
    I've only used a yanagiba a few times for skinning but I thought there was a lot less resistance than a suji-a much smoother cut.

I skin with my yanagi. I can't do it cleanly with a double-bevel knife, but I find it easy-schmeasy with a single-bevel.
    Len