Options for western handled honyaki gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Aside from nenohi, hiromoto, Gesshin ittetsu & ginga can anyone point me in the direction of a western handled honyaki Gyuto, I'm more looking at japanese makers, i'm aware of the custom makers who make honyaki blades.

Thanks in advance

Konosuke makes one. I'm also almost positive a vendor/important individual could convince mizuno to do it as they have many yo handled blades. Ichimonji also makes one, if memory serves me right.

Also 99% ashi ginga no longer makes honyakis. Jon had mentioned it somewhere.

some of the craftsmen making these have stopped, which makes them hard to find... even through other brands (i.e. konosuke, ichimonji, etc.)

Does the Konosuke (hidden tang western) you had classified as a western handle? I bet the reason you didn't like itwas because of the weight distribution?

Does the Konosuke (hidden tang western) you had classified as a western handle? I bet the reason you didn't like itwas because of the weight distribution?
Yeah, ideally I'm after a full tang knife with a bolster, I found the konosuke a little short, and a little wedgy for me. I'd always been curious about those western/Wa hybrids, but it wasn't for me.

There may still be a 300 Ittosai available on BST…
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/25091-Ittosai-Honyaki-300mm-Gyuto

i-gV7Bp9H-XL.jpg

i-sMPFmfF-XL.jpg

i-hshP76Q-XL.jpg

Back