Random thoughts, priorities, things I care for about my knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDalman

Unsupportive Member
Reaction score
I've had this in mind for a while that I should express a little more about my thoughts/opinions about my knives. It's something I've tried hard to avoid for a while, hoping the knives will speak for themselves.

Currently it's all custom work, which I enjoy. Catering to and listening in on what the customer will want with the knife. When it comes to the grind, I can cater to wishes indeed, small tweaks can do alot.

I find I'm slowing down, letting the knives take the time they take for me to be happy with them. That means spending more time hand tweaking on stones, and hand finishing everything.

I've always tried to do the best performing knives I can, and being handmade there are of course variations. Also generally my knives have probably changed a fair bit since I started doing this full time a year back. For the better. I know my grind concept pretty well by now, and feel I can achieve a detailed performance. As an example, I can make my grind let go of fine diced onions, but generally I choose not to go that route because It will (to me) hinder ease of cutting a little bit.

On steel, I try to stick with the steels I like, but am exploring when I can. Currently I'm trying out elmax for a bit. Generally 63 hrc (most of the time for thin knives) is my preffered hardness, because I find with the edge I put on, it will tend to fold at lower hardness, and be too brittle when going higher. I can run uhb20c to be 65-66 post tempering, but imo that's not good for edge retention. For stainless I use a outsourced vacuum HT, I may be able to match that HT with my own, but it's possible I stick with the vacuum HT. Carbon I do myself, with grain refining normalising cycles pre quench which I feel helps performance a bit. Also I've been playing a bit with hardening lines and will probably explore water quenching more.

Feel free to ask and talk details with me, also always feel free to share your opinions with me. I appreciate it.

I guess that's all for todays ramble.

Thanks for reading!

I am not sure what drove this thread, but am definitely looking forward to trying your work and have heard great things about your knives....Matt C. btw:)

Thanks Matt, and sorry about that mixup earlier :)

I'm not sure either, and reading it again maybe it comes off a bit bold. Things I wanted to point out is that there have been a learning curve as while I do take pride in my knives, I still consider myself to be new and trying to earn my stripes. Also wanted to highlight I can indeed cater to "requested performance", performance being regarded a bit differently by people...

"but imo that's not good for edge retention"

I would say offer both types... some will want a workhorse, some will want something for light, dedicated uses (or the bragging rights*... usually a mix of the two).

*If I'm not confused, you used to play metal before you started working with it? Then you know how much the darker motives in people often lead to great art :)

Haha what? don't tell anyone and get people googling :p

Of course if someone would want a 66 hrc honyaki, I wouldn't be impossible. Different strokes... But when I've played with it I found it to be fragile/needing a tougher edge than I like putting on. Then of course different hardness for different knives can be useful. But general use, I like my aeb-l and 20c at 63. And that's to be taken for what it is; my opinion :)

63 in a usable mono is still quite impressive :)

... is there a ko-santoku/kawamuki in your lineup by now, have lost track of where you show your newest additions?

No santoku yet.

Ok the last I played with, i've been playing in a couple of bands for fun.
Long ago I played with these younger guys. Funny name, funny swenglish lyrics... Not something I would listen to myself, but playing this kind of music is fun :)
https://youtu.be/XncN35RwhXU

Have you made a honyaki? With the lazer beam profile I'd imagine it would be far too fragile, dalmans should honestly be san mai, with uber soft cladding, to absorb any impact. I know I am planing on ordering a dalman/hhh(devin) damascus san mai in a few weeks. Also we did a pass around of your blade today at work, general consesnous was its ***** insane.

Have you made a honyaki? With the lazer beam profile I'd imagine it would be far too fragile, dalmans should honestly be san mai, with uber soft cladding, to absorb any impact. I know I am planing on ordering a dalman/hhh(devin) damascus san mai in a few weeks. Also we did a pass around of your blade today at work, general consesnous was its ***** insane.

Calling my stock removal carbon blades with hardening line honyaki would probably rub some people the wrong way. I have made a couple of succesful hardening lines, but I do temper them the same as my preference, so the high nakiri I'm finishing up soon is at 63 in the hard section. As you may already know, I generally don't forge.

As for san mai, I don't know... Chances are the cladding/core will look pretty wild haha. I'm making a couple of 240 soon from randys damascus/blue2 san mai. That core is fairly thick so I believe it may end up being visible core on spine or just upper half of the blade.
I do destructive tests to my blades, and am pretty confident they'll hold up to alot. And only one report of a broken tip yet, and I've made one or two very thin knives in this year.

Awesome to hear you like it.

what kind of carbon do you work with? do you do custom profiles?

Sorry I missed this. I work with primarily uhb20c which is uddeholms 1095, but judging by the tested batch composition in aeb-l I got from them. Carbon content is on the upper limit or above, and it's super clean. This is in line with how I feel it performs also. Much more like the hitachi steels. Swedish steel rocks... And of course custom profile is no trouble.

Only one or two???? What are you calling your other knives than? Fat? LOL

Just FYI: I want VERY thin ;)

That was something of a modest statement. It's probably close to a hundred thin knives out there, some in the really extreme... I don't think I would get away with shipping a thick knife haha.

You missed putting a "shall" in the middle of the band name (see HSB, PSF, ASP :) )

(hoping whatever you're working on isn't too pointy ;)

Given that a few here started hyping the shokugeki no soma anime, there could be a sudden huge demand for kurouchi funayukis :)

Wasn't so fixated on the santoku shape, more on the ko size (100-140mm, for ladies and home cooks who love to overdo the aromatics ;)

"would probably rub some people the wrong way"

A popular maker calls a line honyaki that doesn't even claim to be differentially hardened or even differentially tempered. They will conveniently catch all that flack for you :)

Oh, and I think a certain market segment (not me.. ) might love a set with well matched OEM stones (not overpriced or suboptimal ones!) and reliable sharpening instructions...

Oh, and I think a certain market segment (not me.. ) might love a set with well matched OEM stones (not overpriced or suboptimal ones!) and reliable sharpening instructions...

Nice!

I am still toyibg with the idea of KU, and even making some "run" or batch of knives without hand sanded finish at a better price, but as long as there's people waiting for custom knives it's not going to happen.

I like to point people to mr broida for sharpening instructions and stones. You may be right I could sell some side products, but as things are now I don't think I should spend time looking into that.

The observation was that all the big names tend to kind of sell their knives and sharpening supplies as a system. And in the end they are right - though they often do it wrong :)

I'd guess the trouble is offering value and making it profitable enough. The cramer choseras was pretty well recieved I'd guess?

Take my amateur armchair advice with a grain of salt... I was just... channeling the confusion we all had one or the other time... bought (or planning to buy) new expensive knife, no idea which sharpening supplies actually work well with it, hesitation, buying overpriced or underpriced, things not working out, unsure whether the bad workman* is blaming the tools or bad tools are blaming the workman...

*the user/sharpener, not the knife maker!

Back