Fixing up a flattened grind

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbusby1

Reaction score
When I was first learning about grinds and thinning I thinned this knife in a kind of "flatten it all down/even it out" way. Obviously it was a mistake. Yes, the large bevel is largely even know and I can polish it and make it look pretty, no more overgrinds and undergrinds. So I haven't been using this knife much in the past year because it is so sticky compared to my knives with quality grinds. But now I want to do my best to make this knife perform better, to remedy my mistake as best as possible. I know, you can't add back metal and I don't want to have to lose 6mm of height so that I can have that thickness/metal to completely redo the grind, too drastic, too much work. This morning I thinned off some shoulders/ thinned right behind the edge (basically just the exposed core steel) and it's improved the performance a decent bit.

Right now it's noticeably flatter (less convex) on the right side, which I *think* is fine, since I'm left-handed. Idk how informative/helpful these photos actually are...

I'm wondering what you'd recommend to reduce the stickiness / improve the grind. I have diamond plates, sand paper, stones, no belt sander.

I'm no authority, but I suggest not pushing convexity too hard at the edge...the result will act more like a fat edge. Try to keep a low angle to the stones and thin to a scratch pattern at least 5-6mm from the edge, and then do a little work to blend it.

Ideally to get food release you'd want to add "shoulder" on the left face 5-10 mm from the edge (since you're lefty, grind looks a bit leftie already which is a good thing for you). Possible would be to thin the upper face (hira right?) but it would be alot of steel to hog without a belt grinder. Possibly loose a mm or two height by just sharpening hitting the first 5 mm to the edge "lefty" to create this...

you need to fatten up the left face. grind at a higher angle about an inch up from the edge and then blend the shoulder slightly. so basically a giant microbevel on only the left face (since you want food to push away from you as you cut)

Back