Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chef's Knife Selection help.

Welcome. From my personal experience I would say that the first knife after cutco or any other rather iron I would go for decent steel but in the cheaper regions, or even a used knife.

Then You could always change for better.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    welcome!
    Gracias.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    We've got a nice Knowledge Centerhere that offers insight from a Kitchen Knife perspective on a lot of issues, though it is a bit new. The Glossary was written to provide knowledge that is tried-and-true when it comes to kitchen cutlery to help newer folks make sense of terms and concepts as well as sniff out BS.

You'd be surprised how much you can learn by reading threads around here.
    Read through while posting the OP. Will continue searching around!

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Pick up a copy of "An Edge in the Kitchen", by Chad Ward if you can.

You also may want to read what "Boar D Laze" says about choosing a kitchen knife in his blog, "Cook Food Good":
    http://www.cookfoodgood.com/
    Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagstaff View Post
    I'll second both of the above.

Re: Chad Ward -- he's got the best sharpening chapter I've seen in a book. It's probably still all available on egullet, if you want to check it out online (the chapter, not the book). He's got a bunch of things that make it a very good book. But he does dismiss carbon-steel a bit too fast (which may or may not be fine for any particular reader), and he leaves a much stronger impression about 3 particular knives as dollar-for-dollar values than he ought to (in my opinion, and in lots of people's opinions). For chef's knives, at least, a Global, Messermeister, or Mac will be left in your brain after reading. He's got good reasons for mentioning those in their price class, but I wish he opened that section up a lot more. And the Tojiro was considerably less expensive when he wrote it -- still a good choice for those for whom he's writing, but not nearly the no-brainer it was when the price was lower. Similarly with his brief mention of the Togiharu as "better but more expensive". When he wrote it, it was less expensive than now, and I think isn't quite the value the book implies any more.

All that said, the book is excellent indeed; it gives you a lot of kinds of things to think about and a bunch of knowledge with which to talk more knowledgeably to people (here, for example). It dispels a lot of conventional false-wisdom. But IMO he points at too few knives too specifically. And I'm repetitive. And redundant. (I'll apologize when I'm more repentant).

(OK, now -- sorry).
    Hahaha....ok....

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Welcome. From my personal experience I would say that the first knife after cutco or any other rather iron I would go for decent steel but in the cheaper regions, or even a used knife.

Then You could always change for better.
    I'm the type of person that throws myself fully into a hobby. my MO is almost never to start low and upgrade along the way. In this case, i'm sure that i will be cooking for the rest of my life and would rather just get something high end to start with. It's not like i'm buying a motor cycle for the first time and need to start with a beginner bike because i can't handle the power. I'm looking to get the highest quality stuff i can within my ~$300 budget.

Yis, I understand, you just want one buy and have the feeling of well spent money and good product which will amaze and scare you. Its not about power you cannot handle, but about understanding your own preference.
    To give simplest of examples: you will buy Global. You like the shape but the handle annoys you so you use cutco again.
    You buy Shun, and the handle is perfect for you, but the profiles driving you mad and you dont feel like using it.
    You will buy some thick chefs knife, and it will be supersharp, but when cutting carrots both pieces will shut from under edge like bullets and youll look for them around kitchen.

So my point is, if you find BUT big enough to stop using a piece of cutlery, then the money werent used properly, were they?
    And the passion for cooking will only remind you of it.
    Think of 10 specifics of a blade and ask yourself do you know what you like?

Point taken. Though I figured a few afternoons of playing around at W&S should suffice to learn my preferences. I'm just not patient enough to do it piece wise.

All just my opinion, but I think most who have been in your shoes in the past would agree:

I really think it is beneficial to get a less expensive, but amazing performing knife off the bat and spend the rest of your money on sharpening/up-keep equipment. Being able to put an edge on a knife and maintain it is far more important that buying a more expensive one...can't stress this enough.

You can get a 240 CarboNext gyuto from JCK for under $150 with shipping, and if properly sharpened, it can perform as well as knives 5X the price. You may even be able to get a used one from a forum member for even cheaper, and they can put a great edge on for you that will blow your mind (although I love mine, I've thought about selling to a newbie for this particular reason, so maybe I will consider)

Spend the rest of your budget on a stone(s) and maybe a strop and take the time to learn to sharpen...it is fun and really rewarding once you get proficient at it. After you gain experience on both fronts, you will be much better educated to know what you really want/need in a knife. Konosuke and other super-thin knives are my favorite and fit my cutting style well, yet other people like a mightier knife with more weight behind the cut...I like flat profiles, yet other people like a bit more belly to suit their needs...etc, etc. Everyone is different, so it is hard to make recommendations with very general information.

At the OP: I've been refraining from posting on this thread but now I have an excuse I cannot ignore. One of my knife buddies just texted me. He says he wants to "kick you in the nads." I think he's frustrated...

I'm sorry, that was completely inappropriate... My apologies.

Welcome =)

+1 for getting a less expensive gyuto and a stone or two. First of it will be amazing honestly. Second use it sharpen and do it over and over untill you get the hang of it. Probably you will scratch it and such, it wont hurt as much as a with a more expensive knife. Sharpening is imo big part of the fun.
    "If you are flamable and have legs you are never blocking a fire exit."

Take a look at the Togiharu Inox line at Korin. http://korin.com/Togiharu-Inox-Steel...category=17362 for a beginner in good knives you can't go wrong. Good profile, thin, easy to sharpen, durable, relatively inexpensive. Also, if You want to try carbon steel, look into the Hiromoto AS gyuto.

You will also need to familiarize yourself with your preference between wa or yo handles; carbon, stainless, semi-stainless, clad, etc....

Maybe you noobs are the wiser, seeking advice from those who have purchased and used dozens of knives to find what their own preference is..... I would be the idiot who asks no questions, but has drawers full of knives I don't use. lol
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com