Munetoshi wa butcher, how to do you sharpen it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoff_nocon

Reaction score
To those who has it, how do you sharpen yours? ootb edge is lackluster so thinking of giving it a new edge. whats the best way to sharpen it so that it could withstand most abuse?
sharpen it like a wide bevel and add micro bevel? or just sharpen its wide bevel till i form a burr?
or just sharpen it with your prefered angle?
hamaguri edge? (which i suck at)

I've had two of these, (had a dumb s*** moment and sold first one), both were delivered with a nice edge - for what the knife was intended to do.

Very good for making a large piece of meat, beef, pork, deer, into small pieces of meat. Frequently break a 50# chunk of cow into 5# packages and then cut some of the packages into pieces that will fit into grinder. And then a butt or two. Knife works great. If I'm not doing it whoever is will ask to borrow the knife.

It is not much of a slicer, definitely not a dicer. It has no role when working produce. No role for fish.

When you say that OOTB edge is mediocre I'm curious if you're trying to use knife for something it's ill suited for?

Sharpening is pretty straight forward. Convex, nothing fancy, follow the existing bevel. If I have it another 20 years I might get all of the rough spots out.

It will never win a beauty contest but if I wanted to hide a body it would be my first choice.

I've had two of these, (had a dumb s*** moment and sold first one), both were delivered with a nice edge - for what the knife was intended to do.

Very good for making a large piece of meat, beef, pork, deer, into small pieces of meat. Frequently break a 50# chunk of cow into 5# packages and then cut some of the packages into pieces that will fit into grinder. And then a butt or two. Knife works great. If I'm not doing it whoever is will ask to borrow the knife.

It is not much of a slicer, definitely not a dicer. It has no role when working produce. No role for fish.

When you say that OOTB edge is mediocre I'm curious if you're trying to use knife for something it's ill suited for?

Sharpening is pretty straight forward. Convex, nothing fancy, follow the existing bevel. If I have it another 20 years I might get all of the rough spots out.

It will never win a beauty contest but if I wanted to hide a body it would be my first choice.

Mine had chips at the curve part of the blade but nothing that cant easily be fixed. just didnt want to say it at first and give the knife a bad rep cause its an awesome knife. i definitely know what its for, not planing to use it as a suji or gyuto. just wanted to know if adding maybe a microbevel would make it more tougher or any other methods. anyway i just sharpened it and treated it like wide bevel and was able to remove the chips

Sounds good. Like many knives, it might be a bit chippy initially. It can get pretty sharp considering its thickness.

Sharpen it like the steak knife / axe...love child... that it is!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PRIjNHM0K8KLbc2r1

I have this knife, and I absolutely love it. And this has to be the best description of this knife I've heard yet. I hadn't thought of the steak knife half of the equation, but every time I take it down from the magnet, the axe lineage comes to mind. It has that solidity, heft, and toughness.

I don't have one, but I do have a butcher practically identical to the shape and build, which isn't the least unusual as it's a classic. I thinned it at a 3deg/side angle to a 0.50mm thickness at the edge. Sharpen it to 15deg/side then microbevel at close to 30. Cuts fine and stays sharp pretty well for soft stainless.

Back