Quantcast
Magnetic Racks - Looking for Opinions & Advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnetic Racks - Looking for Opinions & Advice

I have two MagBloks, and they look very nice. But they have yet to be installed, because I bought them to go in the 'new' kitchen, and now it turns out we do all the prep on the islands and there are no good places within reasonable reach to install them. So we're keeping an old Wusthof block -- which holds a pretty good collection of knives -- and I will need to talk to BoardSmith about getting a custom block for the 'above 240' blades I have started to accumulate thanks to web sites like this one.

When the JKS mag racks were first posted I thought they were a bit too expensive relative to MagBloks, but when I saw them first hand at the ECG I was able to appreciate how much longer and taller they were. But from a practical perspective, there aren't a lot of open wall spaces in a lot of kitchens for the longer racks. They 'work' where there are no upper cabinets (assuming a wide enough wall), but if you have to put one below an upper cabinet it would be hard to keep from at least partially blocking with the typical crap most people have on the countertops.

+1 on showing a knife or two on the racks to show scale. It might also be nice to offer custom sizes, and a list of several woods that could be used. I'm a burl junky, so I'm not sure I could simply pick out any wood at random and say, "That's the one!", but having a list to go through would make it easier for me to make a choice.

I noticed that it does say that other woods are available. For this group the option of the customer supplying their own wood might be nice.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I've had a look at those racks a few times since you first listed them, and although I think they look very nice, they're definitely out of my price range (I need all the money I've got for knives, not knife racks! :P ) That said, I definitely wouldn't mind getting one as a gift!
    As for advertising them, I think the idea of a video showing off their qualities is great--the vids that Jon's done for his different knife lines, for example, are pretty simple, but really help give a better idea of what the knives are actually like. Just seeing a person briefly handling/using a product like this makes a huge difference in how your mind is able to understand exactly what the object in question is like.
    More readily available options for wood types or customization might also be interesting, as others have noted already.
    - Erik

I couldn't find anything on JKS so I assume this never went further, but I do have a question. Is there a general preference in the knife world about storage, Blocks vs. magnets or other ( not sure what a modular box is) ?

I just made a few knife racks with some extra turning stock I have around. Been giving them out as gifts to friends and family. People really seem to love them. I think people would jump all over them if marketed right. One thing I have found, is to use more powerful magnets then you would think.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	20287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	20288
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson

We had an initial run sell out completely, however, they took quite awhile to go, the interest was low at best.

Sell them as sets with knives?
    Offer discounts with purchase of a knife or stone?
    Free with the purchase of ____ knives?
    I think of it more as an add-on or accessory, not really a stand-alone purchase.

I think house wives and home owners with disposable income are the market to go for with knife racks. People are always looking for ways to make their kitchen look nicer. Even if they're putting cutco's on them. Not to say knife nuts won't love them too. There is just a lot more of them then us.
    All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat?'.- Homer Simpson