Quantcast
Rader Custom Damascus 270mm Gyuto - OTB photos - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rader Custom Damascus 270mm Gyuto - OTB photos

LOVE IT.....What is the steel comp?

The damascus I used in this blade is a new batch of steel called 1080+ mixed with 15N-20 that has high nickle content. I believe the 1080+ has a touch of vanadium to help with refining the grain and wear resistance. My damascus will always have that random, organic look, but sometimes I have a friend and master blacksmith, David Lisch J.S., make me patterned mosaic damascus for some of my other damascus knives and I think he is also using 1080+ and/or 1084.

-M

Not sure how I missed this thread...incredible work all the way around (including the box, which I love).

How are you enjoying it Justin?

Thanks Johnny! If Michael ever gets stick of steel, I think that he could also have a pretty good career as a wood-worker. These boxes have been one of his little signature free-bees, but the design on this one was a bit new an unique/new when he did it. It was the product of a conversation that we had about practical knife storage and the drawbacks to long-term storage in sayss and sheaths. The magnetic "ribs" hold the knife securely, but also allow for airflow.

The knife is on my list to do a detailed review of, but I want to make sure that I've spent enough time with it to really get to know and understand it well. Honestly, it's a bit intimidating. The skill and passion that went into this thing is so unbelievable, that I almost feel unworthy to comprehend, much less assess it. It's almost like looking at a 10page physics proof or a really complex symphony: I just feel like it's over my head.
    Simply put, it's the single most beautiful and astounding thing that I own. The performance and feel is also unlike anything that I've ever held / used. I still often find myself just holding it and staring at it -the romance period is still not over.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    ...the romance period is still not over.
    I don't imagine it will be for some time to come. Gorgeous.

You do great reviews Justin, but I can see how you would be hesitant to try to assess this one. Maybe one of these days.

And Michael, if you're reading this, I may need to make you an offer you can't refuse on one of those boxes!

What is the wood that the box is made out of? Koa? What a great design.

Beautiful Knife and box!!!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Gread work! That handle looks like its waiting to melt into someones palm. Sick man, just beautiful!

Somebody needs to slap me in the face after looking at that beauty.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    same here. Wasn't there some one in some kinda lore some were, (really??? could I use "some" a few times more) where a guy wanted to poke his eyes out because he will never see something so beautiful ever again. I kinda feel that way after looking at these pics. Probably would have to if I saw it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Somebody needs to slap me in the face after looking at that beauty.
    Come on. Come on!!!! You guys are making me slap myself in the face. Okay, thanks, but I know there is a lot better work to be done in the future.

And no, JBG, I am out of the box-making phase here. I have been flooded - Flooded - with new orders for kitchen knives. I just can't do the boxes any more. I don't know what to say. I just can't do it. Thanks again, guys.
    -M