Media Rader Custom Damascus 270mm Gyuto - OTB photos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin0505

Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm still collecting my thoughts and shooting video for an in-depth review, but here are some quick specs and info, for those (like me) who will be annoyed if I don't include them:

Overall Length: 410mm
Blade: 270mm (exactly)
Handle (inc. bolster): 140mm

Blade height @heel: 62mm

Spine thickness above heel: 3mm
Spine thickness @midway: 2.5mm
Spine thickness @tip: 1mm

Weight: unknown, I don't have a gram scale (but it's not light)

The design was the product of a lot of emails between myself and Michael and also influenced by the feedback from his last pass-around. The profile includes 2/4 length flat working section, 1/4 length belly/ transitional section, 1/4 length flat "sweet spot" @tip.

Link to full res. gallery: https://picasaweb.google.com/Justin.Vudy/RaderCustom270mmGyuto?authuser=0&feat=directlink

IMG_7765.jpg

IMG_7767.jpg

IMG_7772.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7776.jpg

IMG_7779.jpg

IMG_7791.jpg

IMG_7792.jpg

IMG_7799.jpg

IMG_7800.jpg

IMG_7802.jpg

IMG_7806.jpg

IMG_7807.jpg

IMG_7808.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7810.jpg

IMG_7811.jpg

IMG_7812.jpg

That looks incredible. The handle wood is almost an optical illusion the way it sort of has waves in it

Stunning piece of work! I'm looking forward to the review.

Wow, that's a serious piece of steel man. My jaw just about fell off my face and into my dinner.
Dinner?? Get off the computer!

To the OP:
THAT is a hell of a knife. Congratulations sir, my hat is off to you.

Wow.... that sucker is gorgeous. Rader's work just keeps getting better and better.

Damn, that might be the best looking bolster I have ever seen.

Very nice pics. That garlic crusher isn't something that I usually add to my knives, but that turned out great. And that nice "Ribbon Koa" is from Burl Source - a really nice, unique piece that Mark Farley picked out for this project.
-M

Damn, that might be the best looking bolster I have ever seen.

First of all Justin, that is an amazing knife and good job with the photos. Congrats to both you and Rader on this one. And I am actually one of the lucky ones to physically handle the knife. The integral damascus bolster was one of the things I noticed first too. It just makes the handle flow into the blade.

Maybe I will swing my scale by this week so you can weigh it.

k.

Thanks guys. That was a fun project. Hey Mr. Drinky, that is great - nice of you guys to share.

-M

I have always thought if Michael was to give up knife making, he could make a name for himself in the world of fine woodworking.

Beautiful knife!

Ha. My grandfather made really intricate jewelry boxes with marquetry style inlays and my dad was always making cabinets and stuff in the shop, so it's in my blood. I've been thinking about turning some more bowls and maybe even furniture, but the fine woodworking business is more cut-throat than knifemaking. I guess I'll stay with custom knives and I have enough orders to pay the bills for the next 8-9 months, so I'll keep my day job for now.

And, Mark, that is a nice piece of Koa you picked out for this project - thanks.
-M

LOVE IT:thumbsup::thumbsup:.....What is the steel comp?

The damascus I used in this blade is a new batch of steel called 1080+ mixed with 15N-20 that has high nickle content. I believe the 1080+ has a touch of vanadium to help with refining the grain and wear resistance. My damascus will always have that random, organic look, but sometimes I have a friend and master blacksmith, David Lisch J.S., make me patterned mosaic damascus for some of my other damascus knives and I think he is also using 1080+ and/or 1084.

-M

Not sure how I missed this thread...incredible work all the way around (including the box, which I love).

How are you enjoying it Justin?

Thanks Johnny! If Michael ever gets stick of steel, I think that he could also have a pretty good career as a wood-worker. These boxes have been one of his little signature free-bees, but the design on this one was a bit new an unique/new when he did it. It was the product of a conversation that we had about practical knife storage and the drawbacks to long-term storage in sayss and sheaths. The magnetic "ribs" hold the knife securely, but also allow for airflow.

The knife is on my list to do a detailed review of, but I want to make sure that I've spent enough time with it to really get to know and understand it well. Honestly, it's a bit intimidating. The skill and passion that went into this thing is so unbelievable, that I almost feel unworthy to comprehend, much less assess it. It's almost like looking at a 10page physics proof or a really complex symphony: I just feel like it's over my head.
Simply put, it's the single most beautiful and astounding thing that I own. The performance and feel is also unlike anything that I've ever held / used. I still often find myself just holding it and staring at it -the romance period is still not over.

...the romance period is still not over.

I don't imagine it will be for some time to come. Gorgeous.

You do great reviews Justin, but I can see how you would be hesitant to try to assess this one. Maybe one of these days.

And Michael, if you're reading this, I may need to make you an offer you can't refuse on one of those boxes! ;)

What is the wood that the box is made out of? Koa? What a great design.

:wow:

Beautiful Knife and box!!!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Gread work! That handle looks like its waiting to melt into someones palm. Sick man, just beautiful!

Somebody needs to slap me in the face after looking at that beauty.

same here. Wasn't there some one in some kinda lore some were, (really??? could I use "some" a few times more) where a guy wanted to poke his eyes out because he will never see something so beautiful ever again. I kinda feel that way after looking at these pics. Probably would have to if I saw it in person.

Somebody needs to slap me in the face after looking at that beauty.

Come on. Come on!!!! You guys are making me slap myself in the face. Okay, thanks, but I know there is a lot better work to be done in the future.

And no, JBG, I am out of the box-making phase here. I have been flooded - Flooded - with new orders for kitchen knives. I just can't do the boxes any more. I don't know what to say. I just can't do it. Thanks again, guys.
-M

Back