Quantcast
petty suggestions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: petty suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    My Suisin IH 210 petty is an awesome knife, but it is also the thinnest and most delicate knife I own. Although I have a light stroke when cutting, in no way do I baby any of my Konosukes (sujis/gyuto)...but this wa-petty is a bit different than my other anorexic knives.

As much as I love wa handles for most everything else, there are certain times with this particular petty that I wish it had a yo-handle instead, as it would just have an overall sturdier feel because of how light it is (68 grams). The only reason I wanted to chime in here is because you are using primarily for fish fabrication, and just thought you might want something a bit more robust for this. Not saying a 210 wa-petty this thin wouldn't work well, I just think I'd want a yo-handled version or something a little more substantial for that. Just my 2 cents.
    i get what you are saying but yo handles are so uncomfortable now that i dont even consider them anymore. also with the kind of work it will be getting i need it to be able to be adjusted in my hand and that is one thing that yo handles do not do well. different angles and grips are what make wa handles so useful for me as someone who doesn't want to have any more than 5 knives in my bag

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    A custom from Ashi Hamono in White#2. You can order up anything you want for no extra cost: HT/hardness, length, geometry, distal taper, etc.

Sakai Yusuke is also a good bet.
    i know you love yusuke, but have you had a petty from them? i have considered them but kinda narrowed down my search before i made this post. this removed the yusuke, masamoto, and suisin lines.

the pictures ive seen of ashi hamono are a lot more like paring knives but i was unaware they would do custom work. do you happen to have a website or contact info on them. the only thing ive seen from them was on jons page.

I have the Sakai Yusuke 210 petty. It is very thin but it does not flex that much. If you try to cut massive things then yes it flexes a little, but I don't mind it at all. It has nice f+f with a rounded spine which is a nice touch. It's also fairly cheap for white steel, much cheaper than the Gesshin or Konosuke or Suisin. I got a saya with mine for like $20 also. I think I'm gonna try the Gesshin next, I am finding 210 pettys incredibly useful

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    I have the Sakai Yusuke 210 petty. It is very thin but it does not flex that much. If you try to cut massive things then yes it flexes a little, but I don't mind it at all. It has nice f+f with a rounded spine which is a nice touch. It's also fairly cheap for white steel, much cheaper than the Gesshin or Konosuke or Suisin. I got a saya with mine for like $20 also. I think I'm gonna try the Gesshin next, I am finding 210 pettys incredibly useful
    i do like the idea of 210mm but i think for my uses i will require a 180mm. where did you happen to get yours from?? ive seen them only at bluewayjapan.

Yeah I got it at bluewayjapan. Got it because buying such a knife was basically an experiment and I didn't wanna spend so much on the Konosuke or Gesshin but I will probably get one of them soon because I use mine so much

ya im kinda past the point where i would like to experiment with knives. i know what i want and just have to find the right maker.

I'm sure you can get custom Ashi blades through Jon.

Bluewayjapan also takes custom orders for Ashi Hamono. I can send you the email address if you want. I have a Chuka bocho and a Ginga Wa-gyuto from them and both orders were made and posted inside a week.

By the way, the Yusuke White Steel series are not an inferior option - the steel, fit and finish and grind on them are second-to-none.

while i do like the yusuke lines, i just feel like i need something custom. i may pick up a gyuto and petty for my wife as her first wa-handles. its time for her to upgrade from my used 240mm hiro AS