Øyvinds fundraiser Shig - patina or not?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkhoek

Banned
Reaction score
I got the Shigefusa gyuto with Marko saya and handle from Øyvind yesterday. So far I have just fixed a couple of very minor issues as Marko's work seems to hold up extrordinary well over time. No surprises there. No shrinkage of wood to metal spacer and no twisting. The saya had a very small void in the glue joint which I filled in with CA and polished up. I have given the metal spacer and horn ferrule a really good buffing and I have oiled the handle and saya with finishing oil to restore the deep shine in the wood. The saya and handle is in an "as new" state.

n6vlut.jpg

11hqy47.jpg

2ajtklz.jpg

The blade is without any scratches but it has the patina I built as described in my blog plus the additional patina built by Øyvind using the knife after that, which seems minimal.

j9c6wy.jpg

http://*****************.com/2011/01/forcing-patina-on-shigefusa-240-kasumi.html

As I don't know if the winner would like the patina intact or not, I'll leave it as is for now but I will of course refurb the blade surface to an "as new" Shigefusa state at the winners discretion. The knife will be sharpened to a razor edge before shipping.

This knife is the best cutter I have ever tried in my kitchen and I would love to just keep it for myself :D But as we all know this Shigefusa is meant for a more noble cause than my amusement.

DarKHOeK

..Øyvind using the knife after that, which seems minimal.
Well to my defense I have to say that I have no real kitchen atm. I never buy a knife I will not use :)

As I don't know if the winner would like the patina intact or not, I'll leave it as is for now but I will of course refurb the blade surface to an "as new" Shigefusa state at the winners discretion. The knife will be sharpened to a razor edge before shipping.

Well, depends of what people suggest here. Bill can have a word as well :)

Dave: Norway is now ready to ship to the winner. What kind of contest will it be? Auction, raffle, fundraiser?
Start a thread where I every post cost 100 USD and pick a winner later on? Your forum, you decide. I will personally ship this knife to the winner...

Back