Sabatier - can you help identify?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frog13

Banned
Reaction score
I have had this Sabatier slicer for about 30 years. Got it back in the 80's when I had a pizza/sub shop. Back then my only real knife interests were that it cut when I needed. I dug it out the other day and started wondering about it. Any idea what type of steel, what it might be worth and any other info you might have on this one?

20160825_201559.jpg

20160825_201644.jpg

20160825_201530.jpg

Sad to say frog that this knife has not been maintained very well. You can see the hole on the blade in front of the bolster presumably from over steeling. You'll need to grind off some of that bolster to get it right. Not necessarily an easy job.

Hey Frog,

Sabatier existed long before brand protection and intellectual property law; consequently, there are well over 30 different Sabatier brands in circulation, with vastly different value and performance. A few are considered "authentic" or vintage. Others are complete trash. Hard to peg down exactly where on the spectrum yours falls, but here's some interesting reading:

(Originally posted by Boar_D_Laze, one of the resident Sabatier gurus over at Chef Talk)

The other knives have a rampant (rearing and pawing) lion marque. As a matter of fact, you might say the lion is "K" shaped. The blades are additionally screened "Sabatier," and "Made in France," but without reference to any specific maker. The handles are NOT engraved or otherwise marked.

I'm pretty sure these are made "OEM" by one or more of the regular French Sabatier makers with the purpose of marketing them outside of France; and/or are excess or other NOS, relabled. I also believe the U.S. importer is a company called "Cuisine de France," but I may have conflated the knives with other stuff, so am less certain on that.

At any rate, I had a couple of those "Lion Rampants" which I purchased through Amazon around 2001, or 2002, and believe they were made by K-Sabatier. They sure felt like it. I may even still have one -- I'm not sure the logo's faded.

Further reading here.

As an aside, K-Sab--which he suspects is the OEM of this particular brand of knives--is a fairly well respected maker and considered one of the "original" manufacturers of Sabatier knives. Cash value would be practically worthless (sorry), and you can assume the steel to be mediocre generic stainless at around 54 HRC, but it would still be a solid knife produced by a venerated company - those are always nice to have.

If it was a carbon it may be worth fixing...French stainless kinda' sucks...I'd keep it, and keep steeling away at it until it's toast:)

Thanks guys, I figured it wasn't special. I'm sure it was "steeled" to death in the shop by several teenage kids. Probably by me too, can't remember, getting too old and I didn't know any better back then. Believe me, I have learned much better today especially at the prices paid for good knives. Now that I've started getting better knives and some knowledge of care it's getting to be time to thin the herd and give some of the old stuff up.

Back