Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Scimitar WIP HHH damascus

Very nice work Randy, one quick question about filework… while I imagine that the grooves are open on the spine, is the section set inside the scales sealed with a tinted epoxy so as to be flush? Mostly a curiosity…

Smurf has first mentioned this project to me some time ago and it is nice it progressing

Quote Originally Posted by aboynamedsuita View Post
    Very nice work Randy, one quick question about filework… while I imagine that the grooves are open on the spine, is the section set inside the scales sealed with a tinted epoxy so as to be flush? Mostly a curiosity…

Smurf has first mentioned this project to me some time ago and it is nice it progressing

That is a question I get often.. Short answer. Nope. I do not fill the filework with epoxy.
    Long answer.. and reason why I dont.. I have found that if you fill them that there is going to be a problem long term. Epoxy shrinks. and continues to do so for a long time. The amount and thed time frame depend on the epoxy. When this happens. notice I didnt say if.
    There epoxy would likely only pull away from one area.. Be it the wood or the steel. Which would allow a place for moisture to collect and then ultimately would rust. By the time the user notices the problem there is no way to fix it "right" without tearing the handle off and taking it back down to clean rust free metal..

By leaving it open. This allows for the handle to do what handles do. And so the user can keep it clean and dry after use.

I suppose the same sorta thing could happen if neglected. But that is another story.

Its a Smurf knife!

Smurf knife for sure! But dont tell him I am working on it. Its a surprise.

Thanks Guys for check out the WIP. Cant wait to start shaping the Mokume tomorrow
    Blessings
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Available Knives

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    He's an artist don't you know?

Is it my imagination or is that a new Smurf pic?
    That is the one and only Smurfmacaw. He's my pet Hyacinth Macaw...name is Indigo. Hi's kind of like having a puppy with a bolt cutter on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurfmacaw View Post
    That is the one and only Smurfmacaw. He's my pet Hyacinth Macaw...name is Indigo. Hi's kind of like having a puppy with a bolt cutter on his face.
    To awesome. I bet hes smart and alot of fun. And "work"

OK so I am on hold again for a short min. on this project.. Ill update with new pictures ASAP

Blessings
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Available Knives

Lol, yes he's smart and fun and a lot of work...we have five parrots and the food throwing Olympics can create quite the mess....you should see when I give them pomegranate....looks like an axe murder in the aviary. Oh yeah, and noisy....hyacinth is the second loudest animal on earth...second only to the Mollucan Cockatoo...clocked at 149 decibels....got one of those too...yes it gets noisy at the smurfmacaw household.

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    To awesome. I bet hes smart and alot of fun. And "work"

OK so I am on hold again for a short min. on this project.. Ill update with new pictures ASAP

Blessings
    Randy