Shigefusa vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazarus

Reaction score
Have a friend in Japan hunting knives for me, if you had to choose between a Shig or Kato, which would you pick and why? Will regardless get a large Gyuto in both if he can find them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never heard of Shigekawa, the Shig people refer to here is Shigefusa...of the 2, I would pick Shigefusa.

crap I meant Shigefusa I was looking at something else and blended 2 words. And why can't I edit the first post to fix ugh.

Kato for my taste, but shigefusa are good anyway. It s like when you compare a Lamborghini and a Ferrari.
In this case the Lamborghini are the Katos and the Ferrari are the shigefusa.... It s just a matter. Taste imo

Just made dinner last week and compared both with the mindset that I would/want to sell one or the other, or both.
Kato beat the Shig, but keep in mind I generally prefer a heavier knife, feels great in hand, alive and goes through food easily. Definitely edge fragile before tweaking but so was my shig, especially my shig nakiri for whatever reason.
Shigefusa single bevel slicers are a different story though, won't be selling those!
1965 Ferrari GT ❤️
my 2¢

I've never owned a Shigefusa, but I have tried them several times. I would say Kato, but either way you are getting a very good product.

I personally like:

Cutting Performance (Double Bevel) - Original Kato > Shigefusa > Workhorse Kato
Finish - Shigefusa > Kato

If I'm looking for a double bevel that isn't flashy would go for the Original Kato. If I'm looking for a damascus, absolutely love the Kitaeji work. Single bevel Shigefusas feel really special though I don't have any Kato single bevels to compare against.

My votes for kato. The double beveled shigs Ive had felt "sterile" or "muted" if that makes any sense. Kato on the other hand is just plain fun to use.

Never tried Kato (hopefully will change). Not planning on getting another Shig. Nothing too special for the price performance wise.

Find Shigefusa overrated, though I dont mind the KU stuff at that pricepoint, or at least when it was in the lower 200 range. Find the current hype on both right now insane when there are plenty of other amazing knives out there to try. If I had to pick one it would be Kato, has more character in its weight and grind, Shigs pretty Vanilla in that category.

Well, both Shigefusa and Kato have gained a collector status in the western world and prices went up quite a bit on them over the past few years. Without a question these are well made knives, but I do agree, that you can get the performance for less from less known makers. Today I would consider buying a Shigefusa or Kato (in particular if the price is right) as an investment as they will probably keep on appreciating.

Can I have a list here or in pm of the less known makers. I'm really curious about the option comparable to Shig and Kato.

Toyama, Watanabe, Ikeda (they make knives for many vendors, there is a lengthy thread on Ikeda that is not too old somewhere on KKF), Kochi (from JKI), Munetoshi, Yoshikane, Ittetsu, Hide, Kagekiyo, Ginga, etc.

Please note - all of the above have different grind, profiles & HT, none of them is direct 'replacement' for a Shigefusa or Kato. Just a few (of many) makers that are definitely worth their price. I am sure others will expand that list.

+1 for the toyama and kochi, would also like to add konosuke fujiyama white 1

+1 for the Toyama

But as I understand the geometry of the Kato is quite unique and makes it so sought-after?

Shig and Kato enjoy great popularity here and between Maxim and the alert threads, I'm not sure you'll find a better place to connect with one if that is your pleasure. Many other makers also enjoy good reputations here.

It's purley conjecture on my part but I would guess that for every maker that is in vogue here, there are at least 100 that we've never heard of. If I was going to Japan those are the ones I would look for.

Fujiwara White 1, can be compared with Shigefusa and Kato, or is very rustik?
Never have touched any of the 3, but The extra hard white 1 idea, excites me

Fujiwara terayusa can take on fujiwara yoshiaki, his ht is probably the best I've ever seen on any steel. It feels like diamonds on stones. Pure hardness. On to the topic I don't own a shigefusa, I like my kato petty but not as much as my takamura petty.

Hi,

I have two Katos and have/had 2 Shigefusas (Kato Gyuto/Nakiri... Shig only single bevel) and I like them both.

But, can't agree more to that:

Fujiwara terayusa can take on fujiwara yoshiaki,...

My Teruyasu Fujiwara Denka is probably the best performing J-knive I've ever tested (been a lot over the years..). The heat treat and grind of my Denka 210 Gyuto is simply stellar.
It's one of my most used Gyutos, as is the Kato Workhorse and I like them both (especially the Kato profile and grind). But in terms of edge retention and cutting performance my Denka is way ahead.

But... (and unfortunately there is a "but")...

These are quite rustic knives (F&F is very rustic) and the deviations between two knives of the same category can be quite high. Visited his store last year in fall and had the oppurtunity to choose my Denka from several blades. If you order a TF, especially if from a retailer, then I guess it's quite a question of "luck" what you get...

Or you should at least talk to the retailer of your trust before ordering that he/she chooses a good knife for you.

Maboroshi is also quite good. Same issues and analog really good HT and sharpability.

Regards, Iggy

Had kikuryu Kato And kasumi Shig, like my toyama most of the bunch, that's why I still have it and sold Kato and Shig. All were 240mm.

Out of curiosity, how reactive is the clad of these two knives, compared to their core?
And if the cladding happesn to be more reactive than the core, how does that affect on foods and which foods?

Thank you Iggy!

Shig, Toyoma, Kato. In that order, are extremely reactive. Their joyful knives to cut with and yea clad does oxidize fast. I used to be appalled by the HM factor of knives that oxidize upon use. After I focused on wiping and drying after each use, dry, dry... I'm able to restore the finish that's patina free with some Flitz and a wipe down.

Back