Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Mesquite Charcuterie boards

Mesquite Charcuterie boards

Texas is notoriously lacking in high-quality hardwoods, with at least one notable exception. Along the I-35 corridor, particularly in south Texas, there are some really cool honey mesquite trees. Mesquite is a unique-looking wood, and I love its character. I found a new source who has some mesquite lumber and some burl, and I cracked open my wallet for a chance at some of his stuff. These would be most approrpiate as charcuterie boards or serving trays rather than cutting boards. Lots of voids and gnarliness that I generally fill with black-tinted resin. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3035.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	32847Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3712.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	32848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3029.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	32849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3021.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	32850

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3026.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	32851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3031.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	32852  

John Loftis
    theboardsmith1@gmail.com
    cell: 469-387-8581

www.theboardsmith.com

Administrator
    Way cool John.

Older and wider..

Looks very cool, are you going to post them on the site individually priced? Whats the general $$ range?

Amazing. Just amazing. Almost too good to even consider cutting up

Quote Originally Posted by strumke View Post
    Looks very cool, are you going to post them on the site individually priced? Whats the general $$ range?
    I think most of these are spoken for (will have a better sense tomorrow), but I will be making a trip down to South Texas this weekend and might be able to make a side trip to get more of this. Price range will likely be $70-$200, depending on size and attractiveness. Burl will skew higher, normal mesquite lumber will skew lower.

I have a TON of one-offs and seconds right now that I'd like to sell; it's just a matter of finding an easy forum to sell them. I guess the options are our website, Instagram, here, or Facebook... welcome suggestions.
    John Loftis
    theboardsmith1@gmail.com
    cell: 469-387-8581

www.theboardsmith.com

Those are awesome looking pieces of wood!

Since your website is set up for e-commerce already, it seems like that would be the best way to sell them. It may be a pain to list them individually, but it seems you'd have to do that in any sales venue. You could just post one picture of a bunch of them on your Facebook, Instagram, and the forums with a link to where you're selling on your website.

I say this because I'd heard of BoardSmith before I'd ever been to this particular forum. If you only advertised on the forum, I wouldn't know these pieces are for sale.

David Smith would occasionally list seconds here. Sell them through your web site but list them here.