paring knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilgawd

Reaction score
So long story short, bought a fancy santoku with cocobolo handle , got some nice JNS stones which renders it razor sharp .... now my other knifes are looking like crap. I mostly use santoku/chef + paring , so im in need to replaced my actual paring knifes

Couple of knifes that came up :

Miyabi 5000MCD-B SG2 Petty 90mm
Miyabi 6000MCT 3.5” paring
Zwilling Kramer essential paring 3.5” paring knife ( i can get a steep discount on this one , i know its not in the same “league” as the other)

Any other suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
paring

Are you right or left handed?
right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Im open , do have a tendency to prefer Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
3 1/12 or 4”

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Im open

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
200 CAD ( 150 USD)

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Peeling + smaller work

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Henckel four star 3” , Victorinox 4”

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch grip

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
I recently bought a handmade japanesse santoku with cocobolo handle and lets say my henckels four star knifes are looking like crap . I will keep those for heavier duty work .

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Wood handle , layered/damascus is a plus

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
hdpe ( i know i know )

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

+1000. Love my harner parer.

Bloodroot makes some pretty nice ones as well but they are a bit more expensive and harder to obtain

For $150 you should be able to get an off-the-shelf parer from one of the forum makers. Butch makes an outstanding example. Del Ealy makes one that I also like a lot - it's a little more robust and is the one I take to work. Randy at HHH also makes a very nice one that is my favorite for in hand work - don't see these often though.

A sort of dammy finish comes on a 3" Shun. The parer gets some love on here. And IMO the Henkles 4 star is not a bad paring knife. I still have a 3" somewhere. Did not like the 4".

There are probably worse ideas than skipping the paring knife altogether at this time and dropping some coin on a stone.

Im well equipped stones wise - just got some from JNS :)

Back