Kodai hinoki vs Konosuke hinoki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody, just wanted to see if anyone has any input as to either of these boards. Jon just got the Konosuke hinoki back in stock. I had been thinking about the Kodai hinoki off amazon until I got the notification from JKI. My instincts tell me to lean towards Jon's Konosuke vs anything off amazon, but if anyone has used either would really appreciate the input!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Ap95tv3LPC7-Iw54AGV4vQ&bvm=bv.131286987,d.cGc

http://www.**************.com/kohicubo16x9.html

Thanks!

And thats actually from cktg not JKI. So clearly something is wrong with me today. My bad. Still if anyone has input on hinoki cutting boards would love input!

You can get Kodai from CuttingBoard.com for better prices IIRC. I'd also consider their Kiso line as the 18x24 is really tempting. I believe they are made my Kodai but to CB.com's specs… you could contact them to enquire about the differences. I was going to get Kiso because I was thinking about the 18x24, but since only Kodai had the really small size, I ended up getting Kodai all around for consistency (the 18x24 was a want not a need)

6E582E07-D3DC-470F-9911-DD74CE8B188E_zpsoj64828k.jpg

See also the following thread for more information:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...-cutting-board-would-you-get-of-the-following

Got my new hinoki boards from cuttingboard.com

I got the Kodai large 20x12x1 and also the small 14x9.5x1. They are much nicer (and thicker) than the shun ones I also have which will become "travel boards".

I initially ordered their Kiso line including the giant 18x24, but came to the realization that I wouldn't be able to make good use of yet another large board, and could make better use of a small one for the little tasks instead. Since only Kodai had the smallest size I asked if I could switch the others for consistency. It was no problem to switch out my order as it hadn't shipped yet, and the shipping by DHL to Canada was very fast (in the typical DHL fashion) and surprising very reasonable in cost.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the customer service, transaction, and products :thumbsup:

Not sure why you'd lean towards konosuke as they are a knife making conglomerate and not known (to me) for their cutting boards...I was interested though when you mentioned Jon having boards as everything JKI carries is top notch...not so much imo for the site not allowed here :eyebrow:...good luck.

You can get Kodai from CuttingBoard.com for better prices IIRC. I'd also consider their Kiso line as the 18x24 is really tempting. I believe they are made my Kodai but to CB.com's specs… you could contact them to enquire about the differences. I was going to get Kiso because I was thinking about the 18x24, but since only Kodai had the really small size, I ended up getting Kodai all around for consistency (the 18x24 was a want not a need)

Awesome thank you for that input. An extra $20 for a decently larger board definitely worth it. That large kiso does look pretty great too, but with a pretty hefty price tag. And I'm in the same boat, the 24x18 kiso would not fall into the "need" category for me.

@chincacats I hadn't heard anything about their boards, and because they do a lot of knives thought it was worth looking into. But you make a good point about ck tg. Sorry to excite anyone about Jon carrying boards that was my bad. But if he did......

Thanks for the info everybody, Looks like the $80 Kodai for now. And if I absolutley love it, just might have to add the 24x18 Kiso!

+1 on cuttingboard.com - great service on phone and delivery. I bought the large and medium Kiso, the small Kodai. There is definitely a difference between the two lines but they are both excellent.

20160820_082747.jpg

I recall that Jon does have some boards but they are not listed on his website. A phone call might be in order.

+1 on cuttingboard.com - great service on phone and delivery. I bought the large and medium Kiso, the small Kodai. There is definitely a difference between the two lines but they are both excellent.

20160820_082747.jpg

Just out of curiosity what would you say are the biggest differences between the two?

Just out of curiosity what would you say are the biggest differences between the two?

The finishing of the boards, the Kiso had a much finer finish. Could be the finish sanding or the grain of the wood chosen, maybe even both but it can definitely be felt. I suppose you might be able to finish sand a Kodai to get there but for the few dollars difference not sure I would bother

Back