• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Unagisaki, 270 deba, Tadatsuna 300 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bishamon

Reaction score
Some more rare ones up that I have never seen elsewhere in the US. The first is a Watanabe edogata unagisaki - a knife specialized for freshwater eel. It is in white#2 steel with natural horn ferrule and is a very solid knife. The cutting edge is 185mm, and the front angle going up to the nose is also sharpened. I have used it a few times when I could find whole eel, and it has some patina but is in excellent condition. I have also used it as a deba on smaller fish, as it is about as thick as a 150 deba. If filleting eel isn't big on your list, there could be other uses for it, and it is a conversation piece.
Unagisaki $195 shipped CONUS

The next knife is a 'big' Blue#2 steel 270mm Tadafusa deba with horn ferrule and ho handle. The spine is around 9mm thick, but the body tapers down a little bit from spine to blade edge as you can see in the pictures. Because of this it is actually more nimble feeling than you might expect. When I was in Japan I noticed that 270+ larger debas at Ichimonji and Aritsugu also had this characteristic.
I have used it with success and it has patina, but it sharp and ready to go. I got a good deal on this a few years ago, about half what most deba go for in this size.
Deba $350 shipped CONUS

Lastly is a 300mm INOX Tadatsuna western gyuto with ebony handle. 300 doesn't seem too long for this knife with this grippy handle, and the stainless steel Tadatsuna uses it quite nice as many of you know. This knife is thin, similar to the Tadatsuna wa-gyutos, and is great for melons and squash. The spine and choil has been smoothed slightly. Sells for $350 from them.
Gyuto $240 shipped CONUS

Right click View Image for full size

IMG_3782.jpg

Unagisaki
IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3785.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3792.jpg

IMG_3789.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

Dang! I assume the answer is yes, but do you have any knives left?

Almost 8 knives in a week.

Wow that Deba is awesome

Apart from being very cool what would you use a knife like that for ?

Wow that Deba is awesome

Apart from being very cool what would you use a knife like that for ?
Fish, and I have. It's not unusable at all. You can use the tip of it just like you could a 180 deba or so.

Oh yes. And it's not like all of these knives sell, even if the prices are super low. I'm sure many people wouldn't take oddball styles or sizes I like even if the knives were $50.

Oh yes. And it's not like all of these knives sell, even if the prices are super low. I'm sure many people wouldn't take oddball styles or sizes I like even if the knives were $50.

I'll take that deba for $50....

Almost 8 knives in a week.

You obviously haven't seen Nathan's collection. Check out whatever Google brings up when you punch in: Bishamon's Japanese Knife Muse. I'm not even sure they are all there.

Gyuto to $220
Deba to $330

These are drop dead prices.

Oh man, I'm trying to convince myself that I have a use for that deba! It's just soooo badass!

Gyuto to $200 even, deba to $300, unagisaki to $160. Last price drop.

Looks like a buyer's market, I wish I had more cash... Some of Nathan's knives are incredible bargains, relatively speaking, buy more fish knives instead of your 16th gyuto, guys ;)

Stefan

I wish I could justify it, but alas we don't all live on an island, some of us are in the desert.... :slaphead:

Seriously wish I could justify that deba, but I don't handle fish even close to large enough to do that knife justice. Hmm... I'm hobbling around due to a foot injury today, so maybe I ought to spend some time online looking for a fish outlet that might give me an excuse ;)

Back