D. Martell Goofing around with finishes....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been playing around with different finishes and textures and came up with this as my best one so far. I'm not saying it's the beesknees but it's different and fun and even somewhat nice looking in person. It's got a slight texture but is very smooth. I believe with use the lighter sections will come in with colors. I don't know, just playing around. :)

So what do you guys think?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

P1010014.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010017.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010024.jpg

Pretty cool, it almost looks like a peeling lacquer.

I'm not much for slick, shiny knives, so I think this is pretty cool. The more rustic the better, for me, like kurouchi, san-mai, etc. I think what you're doing has a lot of potential.

I'd love to see how a patina behaves on it. A lot of times the finish of a knife lasts about a week for me, but if it doesn't patina the same, it might be really cool principle to play with!

Dave I think its really cool!

How do you get this sort of finish? I'm assuming its not a patina, but something done during heat treatment? Etching? I'm a noob with this sort of thing. I would love a knife that looked like that. Especially if it did patina differently where the drops were.

i like it! looks like raindrops on a window, to me. maybe call it "Rain. By Martell." :)

I was reading 'Goofing around with the fishes' and thought 'What the heck is he doing now?' ;) I agree, seeing patina develop on that would be nice.

Stefan

I might have a customer interested in trying it out on his knife so we might get to see it with patina if he gives me the thumbs up.

I'm still waiting for Ryan to come along and :nutskick: me.

He should just give it to Eamon

Yea I love carbons ... i just had a chance to use a Fowler pass around which was patina'd when I got it, more so when I was done. I brought it in the kitchen and someone said ... wow the blade's not the prettiest, but sweet feel to it. I thought "WHAT?! It's gorgeous MAN, what are you talking about?!?!" Eh, he was a younger guy though. Like fine wine with age perhaps we develop an appreciation for the finer more artistic things as we get older.

Bryan

Back