Gyuto Help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lift4Reach

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Gyuto

Are you right or left handed?
Right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Either
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210-240
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing vegetables, slicing meats and fish, trimming fat off meats
What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
Hammer
What cutting motions do you primarily use?
Push/pull and rocking
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
No preference
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Heavier knife but I can compromise
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Food release and slicing
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Does not matter

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I've looked at the Fujiwara Carbon Gyuto 240mm and i keep seeing mixed reviews on different forums and was hoping to get a couple recommendations based on my needs. Thank you.

Not a lot in your price range, but you might consider the Suisin High Carbon gyuto at Korin. I had a 270 sujihiki that I really liked. Took a decent patina and didn't transfer smut to food afterward. http://korin.com/Suisin-High-Carbon-Steel-Gyutou?sc=27&category=8549827

I had a Fujiwara FKH gyuto and never did get the steel to settle down. Otherwise it was a pretty good knife for the money.

If you're open to stainless, there are a lot more options.

Tanaka from Metalmaster
Tonjiro DP
Fujiwara FKH
Perhaps Carbonext from Koki at JKK
Also Koki has few other home brands that might fit your budget

Much appreciated guys! I looked into all the knives you all suggested and went with the Tojiro shirogami ITK. Reason being I am looking for a starter carbon steel knife that I can learn to use and maintain. After this knife I will move to the $180+ as it seems a price point between 100-150 is between ok and good quality. I realize the reactivity of the knife I'm buying as well as the F&F but it comes with the price-tag. Thank you all for your help!

What are you thinking of in terms of weight when meaning heavier knife? Aside from having western handles, most these knives I would guess run light to middleweight at best (blades trending thinner rather than thicker). Tanaka (depends on which line) and Tojiro might on avg be the thicker of the ones suggested, but I don't think either is generally regarded as thick or heavy

The Masahiro carbon as a learning/practice knife suggestion is a good one

And to clarify the Masahiro is not a heavy knife, but neither is the Tojiro ITK. To get a heavier knife with good food release (i.e. convex grind), you're probably not looking at an entry-level price point.

Good luck with the tojiro...worst blade road I've ever seen...hope yours is better. Maybe you should've asked first?

I wouldn't worry about the Tojiro too much. Wait and see what you get. In the worst case you get one you don't like, in that case it will be an inexpensive experience and someone will take it of your hands for a fair price for sure anyway.

These are mass produced and made in a rush so there's some (maybe a lot) variation and differences with them. (It seems I was lucky to get a good one and chinacats probably got a bad one)

I have a Tojiro ITK nakiri and it's a fun little knife. Mine has straight as an arrow blade road, the KU does ad drag, but it comes of easy and I removed it with fine steel wool. It's a bit thick behind the edge, but not too bad. (I haven't thinned it yet.) It takes a sharp edge easier then any other knife I have, so it is a good knife to practice with. The edge retention is only so so. The cladding is the most reactive you'll ever come across and it will never settle down, even after patina, but just wipe it down immediately after use and it's fine.

It is what it is, but for the price I was OK with all those little things and it's not posing to be anything else then what it is, cheap and cheerful carbon knife with some temperamental issues.

When I paid 200$ (plus expensive shipment cost, plus tax,) for a another knife that was supposed to be ready to go OOTB, but had much worse issues. THAT was a very bitter pill to swallow, but for me the Tojiro has been a fun project knife to mess around with. And I do use it from time to time just for fun.

When I paid 200$ (plus expensive shipment cost, plus tax,) for a another knife that was supposed to be ready to go OOTB, but had much worse issues.

Care to share more? Brand? Which vendor? Was issue resolved?

Sure. Kohetsu HAP40 wa. Not resolved.
And not an issue -several issues.
Vendor was Markymark and the funky bunch. (Sorry I just could not resist :lol2:)

The only answer I got was "sorry about the knife".
Seriously that was the only answer I got!

I've been talking about it in a couple of other similar threads where the discussion has touched on the brand or the vendor, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

You can PM me if you want to know more. I'll happily share more.

Richard, I realize the issue with the Tojiro ITK's and made the purchase with that in mind.

Foody518, I think at this price point I can't be too picky as Richard suggested!

Chinacats, I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad experience with it. From what I've read it's definitely a project knife so some work will be done to it. Once again for the price it is what it is. I can't complain too much.

Once I move up from this knife is when I will further consider my options and have learned what I really like in a knife. For now I'm starting with this one and building it to what I want it to be.

Not sure if you've listed what type of stones you have, but I wouldn't recommend tackling a cheap wide beveled knife like that without something sub 500 grit. If you're practicing for blade reactivity maintenance I guess it's not too big of a problem but if you're talking more of sharpening practice and fixing up the knife, definitely have a coarse stone. Evening out the high and low spots without one is frustrating, and necessary after some point of just sharpening the primary bevel.

Back