Quantcast
New Shop Dog proves me wrong - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Shop Dog proves me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Thanks, butt we have the technology here to do the deed! My wife is a pro photog and a PS wizard!

http://www.marycornelius.com/
    Beautiful pics!! Tempel Lipazzans are minutes from my home.I take my girl to the shows, amazing horses to say the least.

Great looking dog... My dog goes to visit the sick kids and is certified TDI. She can blink on command, close doors, open the hospital doors (the metal plate on the wall), and was trained as an agility dog. Pit Bulls are great. Personally, I only have problems with Akitas; use to have one and even with my training skills I was never able to trust this dog around strangers. I highly recommend some good positive training books if you are new to dogs; if you are not new to dogs, ignore everything I say. BTW, the eye contact thing can be a sign of impending fear aggression when other body language goes with it. But, in a puppy class, the first thing that is taught is making eye contact...you can't train a dog that doesn't pay attention. Enjoy the love.
    Seth

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    America's dog. Maligned because of macho a$$wipes who think they make them look bad. The most underrated dogs around. But I'm probably biased.
    +1 on drug dealers, and other bottom feeders, who have ruined the reputation of these great dogs. American Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Bull Terriers and American Staffordshires were for years the dog of choice for many Americans. At least as far back Our Gang (The Little Rascals:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_the_Pup

An interesting side note is that, in more barbaric times, in the UK, tho' these dogs were trained to fight and sometimes kill other dogs in the ring, these dogs often had to be separated and a dog who bit a handler, even accidentally, was more often than not, immediately put down (Remember, this was in the heat of a battle to the death. If you've ever tried to separate fighting dogs, of any breed, you know what I'm saying.) As a result, years of selective breeding almost completely eliminated "Pit Bulls" which would even dream of biting a human. Even today, if a Pit Bull bites a human, 99.9% of the time, you can lay the entire blame on the owner of the dog.

The sad part is that irresponsible dog owners have been the cause of hysterical breed specific legislation in many places. A low down dirty shame, because these breeds can be such great dogs (A pet peeve, as you may have guessed. <g>)
    http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/legislation.php

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    BTW, the eye contact thing can be a sign of impending fear aggression when other body language goes with it.
    Seth
    With Kirby, the eye contact is followed by goofy tail wagging.
    I work into the evenings and usually keep my shop door open. Now he likes to come inside every once in a while just to hang out.
    If I am working on the computer and ignore him while I am finish something up, he thinks it's funny to push my chair around.
    Just give him some scratches and tell him he's a good boy and he is content.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@burlsales.com
    Visit our web store

Now Kirby has discovered my golf cart.
    Likes it better than his dog bed.

Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@burlsales.com
    Visit our web store

I don't have any experience with pitbulls, and I have to admit that I was influenced by the bad press they got - and I have a lot of respect for their strength. But I really liked the one Warren has (btw, haven't seen him here in a long time), and Kirby looks like a real friendly fellow. I wish I could have a dog, but living alone in an apartment just isn't the setup for it.

Stefan

+ Reply to Thread