rika 5k finish question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndavid

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone comment on / confirm if the rika 5k leaves a "hazy" hue. Not mirror finish, more of a blur if you will? Is this true, anyone have a picture as an example?

Yes certainly more hazy than mirror

As in- there is some reflectivity but there is a cloudiness to it. The difference is stark compared to some harder 6-8k synthetics that don't kick up so much mud (I don't own any synths over 8k so can't speak to those) which get a cleaner brighter mirror-esque reflection

any recommendations on another stone that compares to the rika 5k? I am progressing from a 1200 bester. I'm not sure that I will like the hazy look.

Can you describe what you mean by 'compares to?' are you referring to sharpening feel, edge quality, soaker vs splash and go, other factors, etc.?

Though hazy, the finish will be smoother and shinier than coming off your Bester 1200 if that helps

For German knives the 1.2K Bestor and 5K Suehiro resulted in a mirror finish for me. Been awhile, if there was any mist or haze to the finish I don't remember as so.

The Rika 5k leaves a shiny but hazy bevel. It's the only stone at this grit rating that I can recall being like this as most provide bright bevels. When I first started using it I was bothered by this but quickly came to appreciate the stone for it's edge quality and forgot all about this aspect of it's use. Oh and if you go on past this point, be it stropping or a higher grit stone, the next level will show a polished bevel just like you had used another 5k stone so no big deal.

any recommendations on another stone that compares to the rika 5k? I am progressing from a 1200 bester. I'm not sure that I will like the hazy look.

The Rika is a perfect pairing to the Bester 1200, it's my favorite combo.

https://goo.gl/photos/BxFFWZfyqLmytmqd6
Really quick job but it does show the difference I was trying to describe
Core steel polish roughly above where my thumb is in the pic is more or less from the Rika. Below it is from the Sigma Power 6k, a hard fine grit stone

I found the Rika a great starting finer grit stone to start learning sharpening on. Feedback is really nice and because it's softer and muddier it's a bit forgiving of some angle inconsistency (you won't see faceted bevels from being off on the angle like is more common with the harder fine grit stones

Yes certainly more hazy than mirror

As in- there is some reflectivity but there is a cloudiness to it. The difference is stark compared to some harder 6-8k synthetics that don't kick up so much mud (I don't own any synths over 8k so can't speak to those) which get a cleaner brighter mirror-esque reflection

https://goo.gl/photos/BxFFWZfyqLmytmqd6
Really quick job but it does show the difference I was trying to describe
Core steel polish roughly above where my thumb is in the pic is more or less from the Rika. Below it is from the Sigma Power 6k, a hard fine grit stone

I found the Rika a great starting finer grit stone to start learning sharpening on. Feedback is really nice and because it's softer and muddier it's a bit forgiving of some angle inconsistency (you won't see faceted bevels from being off on the angle like is more common with the harder fine grit stones

Good description.

Back