gyuto , how it's made.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan03

Reaction score
hi, a little WIP.

the steel : 145sc .
LrVoXmy.jpg

ready for forge welding :
RPDiO17.jpg

welded, and the hidden tang is forged out :
JXUu09Z.jpg

after 2 heat session .
fQXuD1u.jpg

and after cut, grind and so...
MSgncYg.jpg

now, the blade is ready for heat treatment, next sooon....

bryan

ok, the blade is quenched in water....
first grind 60grit
GN39zIg.jpg

120:
XEUWDGD.jpg

JNS330
fxAHfzL.jpg

Cool, thanks for sharing Bryan. May I ask how far to final grind you go with the 60 belt before you switch to a finer one?

This is very cool, thanks for the WIP!

Trying to follow along in Gator's guide, would this be the same steel as 145cr5 (6)?

Cheers

If I may, the steel is SC145 (or 1.1590.01 and after further tweaks couple of years later the next batch was 125SC - also identified as 1.1563.01 - both steels were made for Aachim Wirtz). Once I am at it - I am not sure where the Si and P contents in the 125SC steel on the ZKnives are from, as it was me who gave Gator the composition of the steel (and I got it of course from Aachim Wirtz who had the steel made to order as well as the SC145 before) and I did not have the SI and P contents, just was told that these are very low. It should have about the same amount of Si and P as the SC145.

Now I hope all the information above is right, because if it is not and Aachim finds out, that he might stop doing HT on my carbon blades :scared4: ... :wink:

145sc :
C 1,44%
Si 0,09
Mn 0,31
P 0,006
S 0,004
Cr < 0,1
Ni < 0,1
Mo < 0,1
Cu < 0,007
Al < 0,04
Ti < 0,001
Nb < 0,002
V < 0,004
W < 0,003
Co < 0,002
N < 0,003
Mg < 0,0003
As < 0,002

with the 60 , i am going to the final thickness for the edge , prety close to zéro , i use the 120 for "up" the grind ( my english.... :/ )

Bryan, your English is light years ahead of my French as well as knifemaking skills :)

I understand what you mean. I am just surprised that you go directly from 120 belt to JNS 300 - don't you find it hard to remove scratches on the stone?

thank you Matus.

with the soft steel it's easy. sometimes i use 240belt and 400... but not for this one. It depends on my modo :D

Nice :) ....JNS 300 is great, I also have a nice big Omura sandstone from Maxim for the workshop that gets the job done quick.

thank you :D
i think i can start the forge , next week. and i want to make a chukabocho. :)

So, now that you're back to it, what's the lead time like? :knife:

Back