Chromebook love?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoiledbroth

Reaction score
My laptop is pretty old, thinking it's time for an upgrade. I don't produce music anymore and if I do in the future I'll be investing in a desktop. So I thought these Chromebooks pretty accurately reflect my computer usage (browsing, most of my streaming/multimedia is done on an Android TV box - don't judge).

So wondering if anyone here has love or hate for Chromebooks based on experience. I'm looking at the HP 11 G4 EE which should support google play by 2017... Already aware of screen/battery issues in this price range (250 CAD+ tax).

Thanks folks!

The problem with all netbooks relying on an uncommon OS (compared to Windows or a vendor-neutral linux distribution) is that it is much in the hands of the vendor how long you can keep them up to date and running, they kind of share that problem with smartphones. Though you could probably put a neutral linux distribution on it if you decided to invest the effort.

If you can get the IPS panel option on anything, get it (IPS means "display that won't turn funny, solarized colors when viewed at an angle").

Did you choose a rugged notebook for ... reasons? ;) There are sometimes truly mil-spec notebooks (Getac, GSCS and similar brands) available refurbished at affordable prices.

If your primary usage is internet browsing, then Chromebooks work great. The operating system is more secure than Windows (though I suspect anything can be hacked). For any heavy duty processing, like large spreadsheets or photo editing, you'll need a more powerful PC.

Chromebooks make great travel PCs.

Now could one of these starter-kickers come up with a dishwasher-proof chromebook for kitchen use :)

BTW, Acer makes a nice 14" Chromebook with a 1080 IPS screen. Unfortunately, it runs $275 - $300 USD. Perhaps wait for a Black Friday sale (if they do that in Canada).

is it for portable use? if stationary, since all youre doing is web browsing just get one of those mini pc's and hook it up to your TV via hdmi. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-mini-pcs,review-2760.html

i still use a workstation laptop from 6 years ago (basically a desktop, especially now since the battery doesnt hold a charge). if i had to replace it, i'd probably get the intel nuc thingy

I wouldn't mind having a second screen tho. One for kkf and one for tv :p hence the Chromebook.

I used to have a desktop, it was getting old and developing some issues. I was going to be traveling a little bit so I bought a Chromebook for when I wanted to do stuff that was annoying to do on my phone (extended web browsing, spreadsheets, etc). Haven't really missed the desktop at all. This one is two years old now and still doing well. I have thought recently about getting a new one just because the screens/battery/etc are much nicer currently.

They don't tend to do that, they usually work or die - acting odd usually means either your device drivers are a bad version (windows update might have fed you one), or your antenna connections inside are troubled. The antennas are usually in the lid, connected by tiny coaxial plugs to the mainboard - if unlucky, the cables running through the display hinge are tired (got a scrap laptop as a cable donor, and skill with a soldering iron?), if lucky, the coax connectors might just need reseating.

In the interests of fairness and full disclosure, I must state that I have several Windows notebooks & PCs, a few Android tablets and a few Android phones. Heck, I even have a MacBook and an iPhone both gathering dust... however, I do NOT have a Chromebook.

But I did just see an interesting article in Wired that might be worth a read:
https://www.wired.com/2016/09/chromebooks-totally-transform-laptop-design/?mbid=nl_9916_p3&CNDID=

It looks as though Chromebooks are about to get very interesting in the months ahead and will have an impact on notebooks as well. I only just bought a new 10" Android tablet last week and need to make some knife purchases as well so I won't be looking at buying a Chromebook just yet. :(

Latest posts

Back