Has anyone been to the tuna auction at Tsukiji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ynot1985

Reaction score
Has anyone been to the tuna auction?

is it worth it?

if so, how do you get access... a tour group? or just rocked up really early?

any advice/info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

The guy who rented us the apartment said they only let 100 people in and starts around 3am or so.

When my family lived there when I was young my dad used to go on a monthly basis. But it is very hard to get in, it starts very early and they don't let anybody who comes in, and it's really fast. I would recommend you find someone local who was already there and ask him for more advice, Or find someone local who is willing to take you.

I have. 2:30 you need to be there to secure the spot, it is at a small office close to a side gate. I personally think any Japan / food lover should at least check it out once, given it is almost gone for good.
PM me if you want to know the exact location as I need to dig it out as well.

Do go! I'd consider it a bucket list item. I visited the inner market a few times in the late 1990's and early 2000's, which was before the tourist restrictions. Sounds like @pkjames has the current access info. In addition to the football field of frozen giant tuna (no wonder bluefin stocks are threatened), you'll see stalls filled with all manner of ocean creatures, both frozen and alive in tanks. Was fortunate enough to watch a couple of workers carve a bluefin with one of their giant tuna swords.

After about a decade hiatus from visiting Tokyo, I went again in 2013. We weren't able to get into the inner market (got there too late), so we consoled ourselves with a fresh sushi breakfast. Heard rumors that the fish market may be relocated. The surrounding area has become prime real estate with new highrise office buildings cropping up. We stayed at the Conrad at Shiodome which is literally a stones throw away. Staying close by would be helpful as the subways aren't running yet at 2:30am.

Get there early, well worth the trip, after the auction the market is well worth exploring, I wished the hotel had a kitchen! Stay for breakfast, then hit the shops, lots of knives and stones

i tried. but i was always too hungover. :) that early time was brutal for me in vacation mode.

I'm going to give it a shot.. Have sent James a pm.. In hindsight, should have stayed closer at like nihonbashi or ginza, Shinjuku is a little far away .. 2.30 doesn't seem too bad considering I did 5 days of 8 hour queuing from 11-7am to buy toys at comic con.

I have been to the inner markets like 10 years back when there were no restrictions and it was amazing.. You could tell they don't like foreigners. I still don't know how we got out of there without getting ours toes crushed with those mini trucks running up and down the market

Replied tony via PM but may as well post here.
This is the exact office you need to go on the day, be there before 3am (better around 2:30) as my first attempt at 3:30 was a fail. Stay in Ginza or odaiba and take a cab :)

Inner market is soo cool and I feel sad to see it moving to a modern building.

おさかな普及センター 資料館 - Fish Information Center (Entrance For Tuna Auction)
6-20-5 Tsukiji, Chuo, Tokyo 104-0045日本
+81 3-3547-8824
https://goo.gl/maps/4jEF9QDzb9v

Latest posts

Back