Quantcast
damn thats sharp experiences
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: damn thats sharp experiences

damn thats sharp experiences

Anyone ever had to sharpen a knife for a fellow knife nut that thought he was good at sharpening stuff only to find that the edge you put on his knife is like 100x better than what he is accustomed too? Share your story, mines goes like this:

I was cooking at this kitchen and one of the chefs there saw I had a wa handle knife and so the knife chat started. He said he was ultra proud of having the sharpest edges in all the kitchens he has worked... Grabbed his knife and I was like nice... (right).

So one day he comes in and his knife has a chip, I told him I could fix it and so I did, what I didn't tell him is I ran the knife through all the usual Memo special progression, when he got the knife I told him I had done the Memo special, he gave me THE LOOK, until he touched the edge. I remember seeing his thumb pop like an overly juicy grape. The look on his face PRICELESS.

That hasn't happened to me yet, but when I got my first Martell sharpened knife and my first Carter, it was the other way around. I felt as if I was on the sharpening short bus.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Yeah. Unfortunately, I don't know anybody around here that raves about their own sharpening prowess...

I've sharpened knives for a few non-knife knut friends and usually the reactions are pretty funny (mixture of fear and awe), but they best was when they actually changed the storage location of the knives from buried in a drawer-o-kitchen-crap to in a bay window behind the sink... And they asked that I post a warning note so that their stupid roomate wouldn't accidentally dismember himself.
    It's easy to impress people when they've never even seen a knife cut paper before...

Actually, I did have one friend of mine get totally pissed at me for having sharp knives around and little kids in the house. She said it was like letting your kids play with guns and she didn't want her kids anywhere near them either...

My aunt just told me a few days ago that after getting her knives sharpened once, she quickly went about dulling them because she didn't like how they felt sharp. She was used to how they cut when dull.

k.
    Last edited by mr drinky; 09-20-2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: I was drunk.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    My aunt just told me a few days ago that after getting her knives sharpened once, she quickly went about dulling them because she didn't like how they felt sharp. She was used to how they cut when dull.

k.
    I feel you on this.....makes me sad to go to work somedays.

Quote Originally Posted by macmiddlebrooks View Post
    I feel you on this.....makes me sad to go to work somedays.
    right there with you. My guys asked me to sharpen their knives on my stones, i got them mirror polished and gorgeous, they test it out and smiled and then put them an a 220 grit carborundum because it didn't feel right to them. yet they try to steal my knives every chance they get. so sad

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Actually, I did have one friend of mine get totally pissed at me for having sharp knives around and little kids in the house. She said it was like letting your kids play with guns and she didn't want her kids anywhere near them either...
    Isn't it great how people like to shift responsibility? My wife and I taught our boys from a young age how to handle both guns and knives. They are now 9 and 13 and they both handle tools and weapons better than the majority of adults I've met (keep in mind, this goes for my military experience too). Much like everything else, people would rather avoid things they perceive as dangerous rather than taking the time to learn, teach or understand the correct way to handle them. Heck if I had a dollar for every comment people have made in regards to my boys growing up with pitbulls, guns, knives and power tools! :-) Ok. Rant over.

1. Working with a sorta-sharp knife is actually a different skillset from working with edges that are truly sharp. I've seen guys do things I can't do, because my knives are too sharp. If I did that, I'd hack my finger off. That said, there is stuff I do that they can't...and my food stays fresh longer.

2. People worried about kids and knives...my daughter has spent 2 years in a house full of shaving-sharp objects, and the worst injury she ever got was one she garnered courtesy a hardwood floor(fell off a chair, 28 forehead stitches). The sharp knives are on the wall. She knows she isn't allowed to reach on the counter, because she can't see up there. I'd much rather my kid grab a 270 Yanagi and cut the **** out of their hand than grab a container and knock a pot of boiling water on to themselves.

3. I've yet to get good feedback from anyone about my edges, except from Colin. Every other person has just said something amounting to "its very sharp", which doesn't help, or mean a whole lot. And it's not like I don't ask...

+ Reply to Thread