butternut squash

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndavid

Reaction score
We cook a lot of butternut squash at home and - we have been using a larger Yuki petty for this task. I'm just wondering if this knife is suitable for this task without fear of microchips. It seems to be a little thick behind the edge so im hoping for a strong, non chippy blade. So far so good.

What should one look for when seeking a knife to cut harder foods - pumpkin, butternut squash, etc? I'm assuming something that is not a high RHC and that microbevels are a plus? Other than that im not really sure.

I should add that ive considered buying a German knife (as this seems to be the common recommendation) to use as a beater for doing pumpkins, squash, cutting pizza, etc.

For stuff like butternut squash you want a thin blade that will not wedge or get stuck - some kind of this (laser) gyuto should work well. I do not see why chipping should be a problem. Cutting pizza is a bit different story I guess.

...have to admit to reach for a bread saw when it's about pattypan squashes.... :)

EDIT: not the supposedly-edible-skin type... what's sold here as a "pattison" sometimes has a skin hard as beech plywood.

For stuff like butternut squash you want a thin blade that will not wedge or get stuck - some kind of this (laser) gyuto should work well. I do not see why chipping should be a problem. Cutting pizza is a bit different story I guess.

Thin behind the edge yes , thin laser no . I disagree with that , cut many b.nut squash with many knives , "lasers" required most force . Pizza ? Pizza cutter is the answer

I just use whatever knife I have out at the time. It's just a freaking vegetable.

I just use whatever knife I have out at the time. It's just a freaking vegetable.

:plus1:

Never had any issues so far. I think there by far things tougher on the edge than butternut squash.

A sharp knife works best...and yes, thin behind the edge...

Matus, the lack of weight works against you and you have to use more force to offset this.

...have to admit to reach for a bread saw when it's about pattypan squashes.... :)

EDIT: not the supposedly-edible-skin type... what's sold here as a "pattison" sometimes has a skin hard as beech plywood.

I love pattypan but what you describe sounds like very mature squashes are being sold or in fact not pattypan at all..! Curious though .. how big are they?

At any rate, peel adequately large squash (kabocha etc) with a peeler! Works a charm. Save your edge ;)

I prefer laser to a thicker blade for butternut squash.

Bit of a tricky one. Thinness behind the edge is essential but being careful with any torque is pretty essential too as that thinness can chip out on you if you're not careful. I'd avoid lasers with flex though.

I have recently tried to cut a pattypan squash. That one has to been way too old and probably not edible anymore, but I completely failed to slice it. None of mz knives would be able to cut the surface - I only managed to push 2/3 of a blade length of my Kato 80 mm petty and had to fight to get it out again. You can just imagine my frustration. The only thing I did not try (and it would have worked, just not worth th effort) was a wood saw, but then I would not be able to peel that wood-ish sking from that thing anyhow. So I tossed the thing and bought one in a more edible & cuttable state :)

My point is - some squash can simply be beyond the point of being tackled with kitchen tools :)

Now spaghetti squash is a different beast. I do like to use my 1303 for that one.

I have recently tried to cut a pattypan squash. That one has to been way too old and probably not edible anymore, but I completely failed to slice it. None of mz knives would be able to cut the surface - I only managed to push 2/3 of a blade length of my Kato 80 mm petty and had to fight to get it out again. You can just imagine my frustration. The only thing I did not try (and it would have worked, just not worth th effort) was a wood saw, but then I would not be able to peel that wood-ish sking from that thing anyhow. So I tossed the thing and bought one in a more edible & cuttable state :)

My point is - some squash can simply be beyond the point of being tackled with kitchen tools :)

You must not have a lectric knife:knife:

It fears no squash.

Victorinox pastry knife (NB it's a reverse bread saw not a palette!) did it in the end, but that's still cheating :)

Interesting that it seems to be the variety typically sold in germany as Pattison. And no, mine wasn't inedibly old.

Latest posts

Back