Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So What's a good place to eat in Italy?

Enjoy, and congratulations!

So where did you end up eating? And I hope everything went well.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I started a review of all the place I went to, only to become overwhelmed by the amount of writing. For a quick sum up.

Out of 36 places I can say did not have one terrible meal. Rome was a little disappointing, but only B/C I had very high expectations. Florence was very disappointing, the food was not bad, but nothing special. Assisi gets the biggest Wow, again I might have had higher expectations for Rome and Florence but at the end of the day I still know good food when I see it. all in all NY is still the best city to eat out of all the city's I have been to in the world.

Best restaurant all in all would have to go to Glass Hostaria in Rome.
    http://www.glass-restaurant.it/

I'll post more and some detailed info when I finish my wright up

There bread basket

Robella cheese W/ prosciutto ham & turnip puree

Wild bore stuffed ravioli and consume. The consume was WoW!! Crazy pure pork heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    NY is still the best city to eat out of all the city's I have been to in the world.
    Have been to NYC and Rome several times, and can't agree
    In NYC I have had fantastic food at Jean-Georges and really a huge disappointment at Del Frisco's Grille (I was not impressed by the Bonne Soup as well).
    An other thing I really hate about NYC, is that the waitress is around us all the time to make us be finished sooner. Its stressful to be in a mediocre restaurant i NYC.

Rome on the other hand is laid-back, the waitress are often old (not only students) and they hardly interrupt your dinner. Only if you call them, they come to help.
    The Italian food is great, and I didn't find one place that serves bad food in Rome. However Im visiting you Niloc on my next NYC trip, Im looking forward to dine at your place.

Funny looking at it from a non-American view. I had herd all about " the European Survice" but never thought it could be as bad as people say. What I look at as inattentive you look at as "laid-back". The thought crossed our minds more then once " these are the laziest people in the world". Seriously I would sit there with a empty glass of wine in front of me for the entire meal. The first few days I was not sure if I was suppose to wait for a check at my table or get up and ask for it at the door...still not sure about how that works. I found it odd how a lot of places were only open from 7pm-11pm, how do they stay in business only being open 4 hours 5 days a week?

I guess there are a huge difference between americans and europeans when coming to wining and dining
    I have no problem with poring my self a glass of wine or the guests at my table, and sometimes we sit and talk for half-hour before going into coffee and desserts. In US we get the bill before we are finished with the main course.

The waitress bring the check to your table on your command, its just that when on a restaurant in Europe you should feel comfortable. Not meet sellers, that want you to order a lot from the menu. You as customer will choose wisely and under no pressure I find the meal itself to be better in Europe than US, due to laid-back atmosphere.

The first real dinner I had with my GF was in Rome, we sat for 4-5 hours and saw the waitress maybe 5-6 times during our meal. Fantastic Not to be seen, but there on a call. Not like US where there are like a guest at the table

If they are bringing you the check while you are still eating the main course, they are doing something wrong.

None of what you are describing sounds like normal good service here in the states. And there are plenty of people here who like to relax and take their time with their meal. A good waiter/waitress will realize this and will let them dine at their own pace.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Assisi rocks. Sorry dining wasn't all you had hoped, though. We like rustic more then refined, so we tend to avoid well-known restaurants and stick with trattorias. As a result we probably miss some really good dining experiences but at the same time we find some unexpected treasures.

Food aside, I hope you enjoyed the trip and saw a lot of cool places. (oh, and had a nice wedding, as well!)

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Assisi rocks. Sorry dining wasn't all you had hoped, though. We like rustic more then refined, so we tend to avoid well-known restaurants and stick with trattorias. As a result we probably miss some really good dining experiences but at the same time we find some unexpected treasures.

Food aside, I hope you enjoyed the trip and saw a lot of cool places. (oh, and had a nice wedding, as well!)
    Don't get me wrong food and dinning were great, I just commented that I think all in all NY is better. I was kind of prepared for the type of service to expect, just one of those things you don't get till you experience it firsthand. I found Oivinds comment interesting as I found the service to be inattentive and borderline neglecting, but after reading his comment I can see it both ways. I like to think of servers as part of the dinning experience.There personalities should add to the experience, not distract but also not just mindless automatons that bring you things when you ask. BTW it was only in Rome that I found the service so lax, very different sense of work ethic in the other parts of Italy I was in. By comparison I think service in the states would seem "less pushy" out side of N.Y, fast pace in NY, not that way everywhere.

Just for fun I just took a poll in my restaurant asking the staff the top 5 things they hate about European customers. It's very funny B/C all the things they complane about fit Oivinds definition of a good meal.

1) They don't tip

2) Rudeness, specifically they "snap at you"

3) They ignore you when you are checking on them

4) They pretend they don't here you or don't understand you.

5) They never lave, staying for hours with nothing to eat or drink, just talking...and then they don't tip.