Here's an idea, try my carbon as a kiridashi.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDalman

Unsupportive Member
Reaction score
I like my carbon and HT for it currently, and enjoy making with it... If you want to give it a try, lets do it cheap and simple if you'd like a kiridashi. I'll keep a separate kiridashi list, and make them in a small batch when I have enough ordered. Steel is uhb20c and I run it around 63 hrc.

Lets say 130 sek shipped (~15 usd) is a ok deal I think?
No sheath, I'll tape it down on a piece of wood and send in a safely packed letter, no tracking.

It will be a regular shape kiridashi, and I will not give measurements. They will have my stamp and a good edge. Maybe some KU-like finish.

How to: email me to [email protected]
I need your name and adress, along with what you want (right or left handed). I'll get back when it's ready to ship, with a invoice.

1 per buyer, and If necessary I'll close this periodically. Don't want to spend to much time on these.

Indeed a great deal. Might have to jump on one just for fun. =)

Sounds like a good deal. I would sign up but I've got an old one already.

Saying this i should have a carbon coming soon from you.

Yes Evan, but you should have one of these as well :)

Thanks for the interest everyone. Remember to include your adress in email. It will be a couple of weeks probably until the first run goes out. Trying catch up with orders still. Will run these when I HT carbon next time.

Thanks guys seems to be a large interest for these. For now I want/need to put a PAUSE on these, until I've sent the first bunch out. Otherwise keeping track will be too much.

I would love to jump on board in the next round as well!

OK, who else would sooner or later be tempted by a $180-$250 kawamuki (if that could economically be done)?

OK, who else would sooner or later be tempted by a $180-$250 kawamuki (if that could economically be done)?

Nice idea, i can probably not do it at that pricepoint though. As it looks currently it's going to continue to be all custom work at a relatively high price. If there are people willing to pay for me taking the time to make their knives to a very high standard, it's the way it's going to be since I enjoy it :)

I'll get back on this thread when I can take more orders for these kiridashi.

I couldn't help myself but to cut these and HT them today View attachment 32967

I had thos idea for quenching a bunch of them in one go I wanted tp try, and it worked out pretty well. I tied them up on a steel wire and that way I only had to quench three times :)

The grain refining cycles was easy peasy handling as well this way. :doublethumbsup:

Not taking orders for these currently. Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.

I suck at reading please disregard my email :)

Haha ok no trouble pleue. There's been a steady stream :)

Awesome! :biggrin:

However, the attached photo isn't uploading for me. :scratchhead:

- Steampunk

Since I am not a knifemaker, I do not quite understand the bladesize vs cost relationship at all, eg why a kawamuki/parer will never be far far cheaper than a Gyuto, but a very small knife can be very cheap again...

Robin, pulled this off your IG since your photo didn't work. Hope you don't mind.

kiridashi_zps182d8yya.png

I couldn't help myself but to cut these and HT them today View attachment 32967

I had thos idea for quenching a bunch of them in one go I wanted tp try, and it worked out pretty well. I tied them up on a steel wire and that way I only had to quench three times :)

The grain refining cycles was easy peasy handling as well this way. :doublethumbsup:

Yes basically it's about time required. A knife with taper, needs to be ground and finished all over, amd then a handle takes it's time, making fittting finishing.

A kiridashi like this, I just need to cut and grind in one place, HT, sharpen, ready. Still, at this price I'm making them at loss I believe. It's about getting some of this steel I like so much, out to you guys :)

Back