Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Some new handles

What its it? Why was it so exPensive?

It's a great piece of ironwood burl. That wood just has become pretty pricey in the past few years, and I needed a slightly oversized block for this one. Oh, tip and ferrule are koa.

Stefan

Hey Stefan.

Just wanted to see how things were going in the shop. Hope all is well and here's to a happy new year!

Thanks Brian, same to you. Things are going slow as usual, but I just got some wood I had been waiting for, so I am back in business, now. I have actually just offered a currently unemployed friend in Germany that I would fly him into Honolulu and give him my guest room if he helps me out in the shop for 2 weeks, just to catch up and move forward. Haven't heard back from him, yet... I had a few people here who said they wanted to help me, but they are all academics or students and seem to have either 2 left hands or a very low commitment to manual labor

Stefan

Stefan, if I wasnt employed, I would so be pretending to be from Germany right now. Scary thing is I am not sure what I would enjoy more, being in Honolulu or making the handles. Ah...being in Honolulu making handles, life is just good.

I'd love to start my next season with a new sexy handle on my Tanaka. lol
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Hi Rick, when does your season start? Anyway, working on it this weekend...

Here are a few new ones, all 4 for the same customer:

This last one is a bit embarrassing - someone wanted that but I forgot who and can't seem to find my notes, maybe I deleted the wrong PMs... So, if you are the one, please let me know..

Stefan

Wow, these are really incredible. I keep looking at them saying, "no I like this one the best, no this one, no it's this one." There's some crazy 3d holograph going on in the 1st one that I just know the camera doesn't do justice. The second one seems like it's has sort of an imperial dynasty design. The white with black and gold looking swirls is just crazy. Something about those white ones, just clean and classy looking.

Can't believe I'm getting closer now too!! Do you have all the materials picked out? I wanna look but I don't wanna spoil the surprise! I go back in a couple of weeks, so it's enough time for me to send it to Dave, have it done and returned before I really "need" it. I have my sujihiki to slice with if need be so no biggie.

And whoever the lucky owner of the last handle is, hurry up and claim it before it ends up on a wa gyuto round here :P
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

The set of four was mostly based on the customer's ideas and a little input from me. I was not totally sure about them when I started, worried that the white might be too easy to show dirt etc. But I have to admit, I really like them now that the are done. Strange materials, some of them.The first one is acrylic with brass and copper, really interesting.

Rick, all pieces are cut and drilled, I just have to stick it together. I can show it to you this weekend before I glue it, but it's pretty much like on my order list.

Stefan

Pretty wild Stefan. The fourth one down is my favorite of this bunch. Looks like it belongs on an ancient Roman short sword.

The white does have an "imperial" look to it (that's what made me think of ancient Rome). What is the white material?