Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Some new handles

Nice, Stefan!! Like the turbo burl set.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

So creative and elegant

Stunning as always Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Bakelite handle with an elforyn (art. ivory) ferrule.

I went looking around for this elforyn material, and came across a whole new bundle of stuff I wanna try out. How is elforyn to work with? Looks fantastic.

EDIT: Also, what materials are in these? They look sweeeeeet!

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I went looking around for this elforyn material, and came across a whole new bundle of stuff I wanna try out. How is elforyn to work with? Looks fantastic.

EDIT: Also, what materials are in these? They look sweeeeeet!

I think the top one is blue bakelite with horn.
    Great work, Stefan.

That bottom one looks like a copy of my handle, mine is redwood burl ferrule and endcap, copper spacers, satinwood burl. I got mine from Stefan so it's probably the exact same materials, and it is beautiful. I'm feeling the bakelite handles though, wow. Keep up the good work Stefan.

Thanks guys, and correct on all accounts with the handle IDs!

Elforyn is quite easy to work with. It was developed to resemble different ivory qualities, mostly for pool cue building. There is some discussion among the pool cue people whether it really resembles the real ivory qualities enough to warrant the high price, but that's not really relevant for us. I like it because it comes in plain white, but also in a little off-white and marbling which resembles mammoth ivory. But it is quite pricy compared to paper micarta etc.

Bakelite, in the end, is just a plastic, as far as I know the first plastic produced on a larger scale in the 30. of the last century. What makes this here desirable is that this is from old stock from the 40s. My source had bought up a few hundred pieces from old stock found during the disassembling of a factory. This stuff usually gets bought by jewelery makers who make expensive little things from it. Accordingly, the prices are considerably higher than most stabilized woods out there. I seem to be the only crazy person to use larger pieces for handles... But my source has dried up and I am thinking about only using it for accents in the future because when I'm out, that's it.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Thanks guys, and correct on all accounts with the handle IDs!

Elforyn is quite easy to work with. It was developed to resemble different ivory qualities, mostly for pool cue building. There is some discussion among the pool cue people whether it really resembles the real ivory qualities enough to warrant the high price, but that's not really relevant for us. I like it because it comes in plain white, but also in a little off-white and marbling which resembles mammoth ivory. But it is quite pricy compared to paper micarta etc.

Bakelite, in the end, is just a plastic, as far as I know the first plastic produced on a larger scale in the 30. of the last century. What makes this here desirable is that this is from old stock from the 40s. My source had bought up a few hundred pieces from old stock found during the disassembling of a factory. This stuff usually gets bought by jewelery makers who make expensive little things from it. Accordingly, the prices are considerably higher than most stabilized woods out there. I seem to be the only crazy person to use larger pieces for handles... But my source has dried up and I am thinking about only using it for accents in the future because when I'm out, that's it.

Stefan
    I know some people have finishing issues with white micartas because it can stain easy with other materials - with elforyn do you have to be careful in this regard too?

I noticed that I couldn't find any sources for bakelite like yours. That explains it. They just look so good though

I talked to the makers about finishing elforyn, and they told me that the product was chemically related to car paint and would not need finish except sanding to a high grit. I was worried a bit also because it did get dirty while working with it, but once it is sanded and buffed, is seems o.k. and things wiped off in the shop. Maybe I should test it with beet juice or something...

Stefan