Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some new handles

Nice looking handles!

PS - You should've bought a German car - very reliable. :P

O.k., since I got a few questions:

- the first koa handle would be a great match for a 165-180 deba, also would work for a 200-210 gyuto but it is a bit stubby and not for a very anorectic knife.
    - second koa handle with ns spacer is nice and slim, 159mm length, matches a 330 yanagi/fuguhiki; koa is curly but a bit on the wild and natural side, not regularly striped koa
    - the marbled horn and amboyna handle is large, 159mm long, 22x26mm at the tip. for a 300mm wa gyuto? Maybe even for one of Nathan's knives One of the nicest red-gold amboyna pieces I have worked with

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Thanks guys. Still waiting for more of that signature wood in this quality to come in.
    Ken, the hickory handle is an order, but we could see if the signature handle works - or the ironwood one I had shown you.
    Stefan
    OK thanks - staying with the Ironwood handle

Stunning work as usual... nice to see some bakelite in the mix.

I took a few pics of this one just before I shipped it out. Used the most expensive piece of wood I ever bought for this handle. I hope DC doesn't find this thread Handle goes to a Polish chef who works in Japan for a 360 custom yanagi. It has this one sapwood spot, and I wasn't sure whether to think of it as a flaw or an asset. I decided to call it character... Last picture is next to my 5.8 sun nakiri.

Stefan

P1020670 by mgapicius, on Flickr

P1020665 by mgapicius, on Flickr

P1020674 by mgapicius, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Nice Stefan! Is that coming here?
    Nope, that went to Japan. The buyer has a knife maker - and I don't know who it is but I will ask again - making a blade for him. The maker wanted the handle first so that he can match the tang to it. That should be interesting... I just hope it isn't too bulky. It's a long blade and the buyer is a bigger guy, so I hope for the best.

That sap wood is just excellent! Really good call making use of it! Really sweet piece of work!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Stunning Stefan, I like the character spot