Quantcast
help neded with picking my knives uk imports
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help neded with picking my knives uk imports

help neded with picking my knives uk imports

hi guys i live in the uk i have a budget of $300 per knife i would like a set of knives

let me tell you a bit about me first.
    i am a weekend home cook i dont make sushi and i want some well known good japenese knives

i really like the Hattori FH series at jck please read my other thread at

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...d/914468/tp/1/

but i need to know are the jck Hattori FH series good knives?
    i like the look of them they look japanese lol

any suggestions on better knives for the same price they should look nice too

apparently its not a good idea to buy in europe so usa and japanese sites would be great only sites you have used or recommend though
    oh and i want bragging rights too.
    thanks guys

If you're going for a "set," I'm assuming you are thinking chef's knife, slicer, paring and serrated bread knife. That's four knives at $300 each which makes your budget at least $1200. The last is pretty much going to be inexpensive (Tojiro ITK from (you'll have to google that) or MAC from anywhere). A nice 120/150 mm petty (paring) knife is going to run you no more than about $200 unless you're going for something custom, maybe. That leaves over $900 for a 270+mm sujihiki (slicer) and a 240 mm gyuto (chef's). Now you need to tell us what your priorities are. There are going to be trade-offs as long as your "set" stays under 20 knives or so, lol.

Stainless or not? Cute or not? In a hurry or not? Rocker or pusher (Although I expect you are willing to modify the way you cut to maximize performance.)? Light and a little wimpy-feeling or heavier and clumsier? I'm also assuming you want wa-handles since you want them to "look" Japanese.

I would suggest "talking" to Jon Broida at Japanese Knife Imports, at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    If you're going for a "set," I'm assuming you are thinking chef's knife, slicer, paring and serrated bread knife. That's four knives at $300 each which makes your budget at least $1200. The last is pretty much going to be inexpensive (Tojiro ITK from ************** or MAC from anywhere). A nice 120/150 mm petty (paring) knife is going to run you no more than about $200 unless you're going for something custom, maybe. That leaves over $900 for a 270+mm sujihiki (slicer) and a 240 mm gyuto (chef's). Now you need to tell us what your priorities are. There are going to be trade-offs as long as your "set" stays under 20 knives or so, lol.

Stainless or not? Cute or not? In a hurry or not? Rocker or pusher (Although I expect you are willing to modify the way you cut to maximize performance.)? Light and a little wimpy-feeling or heavier and clumsier? I'm also assuming you want wa-handles since you want them to "look" Japanese.
    stainless please no carbon
    hi when i say set i dont mean buy them all at once i mean buy 1 for $300 save up then buy the second knife ect ect i dont have the money to pay for them all at once.

i like the jck fh series because they have really nice handles and the blades look japenese style look:

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/JCKHattoriForums.html

i will want to buy most of theese knives but some of them come in a number os sizes and im not sure which size to get example:

Petty 120mm or 150mm
    Gyuto 210mm 240mm or 270mm
    Western Deba 165mm or 240mm
    Sujihiki 230mm 270mm or 300mm

stainless ,cute, in a hurry rocker or pusher? pusher i think,Light and a little wimpy-feeling or heavier and clumsier? i dont want ultra thin knives as im not a sushi chef
    I'm also assuming you want wa-handles since you want them to "look" Japanese. no i want the type of handles on the jck fh series because they look modern classy and stylish

Carbonext gyuto+petty and a king combination stone = ~ $260

You should also check out JKI's gesshin ginga; but Jon can't ship for another 3 weeks or so

You want a western handle with a relatively flat profile in stainless. FYI, traditional sushi knives are certainly nothing resembling "thin." It is fairly common for sushi guys to use a thin sujihiki instead of the traditional ones. That said, thinner knives are more efficient cutters. With regard to the Hattori FH series, they are definitely for rockers as opposed to pushers and the handle is probably the best part about that knife. Unfortunately, the handle really only matters if you spend a lot of time using a knife. They are good knives but for $300 a pop, you can do much, much better in terms of performance. I'd probably start with a 240 mm gyuto in the Ashi-Gesshin Ginga line from JKI even though they are pretty thin. They are so much better than the FH in every way I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    ...but Jon can't ship for another 3 weeks or so
    2 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    You want a western handle with a relatively flat profile in stainless. FYI, traditional sushi knives are certainly nothing resembling "thin." It is fairly common for sushi guys to use a thin sujihiki instead of the traditional ones. That said, thinner knives are more efficient cutters. With regard to the Hattori FH series, they are definitely for rockers as opposed to pushers and the handle is probably the best part about that knife. Unfortunately, the handle really only matters if you spend a lot of time using a knife. They are good knives but for $300 a pop, you can do much, much better in terms of performance. I'd probably start with a 240 mm gyuto in the Ashi-Gesshin Ginga line from JKI even though they are pretty thin. They are so much better than the FH in every way I can think of.
    thanks for the info tk59 but i went on that sit just now and all the Ashi-Gesshin Ginga knives are out of stock

i only wanted a set so they all matched but if i can get better performance from mix and matching i will do that but there are so many diffrent knives and styles i dont know where to start with a set you can just buy the knives in that set

Ashi 240mm Stainless Western Style Gyuto i like it very very nice is it as good as the Ashi 240mm Stainless Wa-Gyuto or is it the same blade with a diffrent handle?

Same thing with a different handle. The wa-handled ones run about 10 mm short measuring on the edge. Those labeled "ginga" or "Gesshin" are left a bit harder which might help in terms of edge retention depending on how you use the knives. They are also a little better finished in terms or rounding the non-cutting edges on the blade.