Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: help neded with picking my knives uk imports

If you're in the UK I'd consider Bluewayjapan on ebay

Sakai Yusuke Swedish Stainless (Yo-handle)

http://bit.ly/o8BeED

Your choice of JCK is also a good one. I haven't seen much bad stuff written about the FH series, they are supposed to be good VG-10 knives. Hiromoto G3 (highly regarded steel) is another good option if you want a matching set, considerably less expensive than the Hattori

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    With regard to the Hattori FH series, they are definitely for rockers as opposed to pushers
    i don't agree; i push cut with mine all day long. nice flat sweet spot about midway, on mine (that nice flat sweet spot may have had a bit of encouragement, admittedly, but it works just fine for push cutting out of the box). i use it no differently than my Shigefusa, Yoshikane or Mizuno gyutos. definitely a great knife, and the only stainless gyuto, and only yo handled gyuto, that i've kept.

Okay. So the truth of the matter is, you can push cut with anything. However, this knife has more curve to the profile than anything else I've seen outside of Shun. As for being a "great knife," I suppose that is relative. It sharpens well, esp considering it is VG10. The edge retention is decent but not outstanding. The fit and finish is very good especially the handle but the edges aren't rounded on the spine and choil and the tip isn't particularly well ground. It doesn't feel "fast" or precise and it isn't thin behind the edge either. I can't think of one thing this knife has over something like an Ashi or TKC other than a handle that is nicer but not really all that significant in terms of performance unless you're a pro. When I was using the knife, all I wanted to do was put it down and pick up another one. In my opinion, it is a good knife, even for the price, assuming that particular handle is important to you but there is nothing great about the blade.

the ergonomics are great (the unbroken spine edges mean nothing to me, so maybe i'm weird), so i think the knife is great. the handle doesn't even mean that much to me, as i pinch knives very aggressively, but the FH feels very right, to me. it has held its edge very well for me, and i think it's reasonably thin behind the edge. i think it feels quite nimble compared to my Shigefusa and Yoshikane. i've never found a rounded profile to be all that much of an impediment to good cutting. if your technique is there, it doesn't matter, and i'm by no means the world's greatest knife user. it's a knife that one can take pride in, and it's a good knife to learn fundamentals on.