Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting the Top Off an Egg

Cutting the Top Off an Egg

I was watching some ancient (2004) Iron Chef America when they had Chef Sakai on with Morimoto (before he joined the American version).

Anyhow, Chef Sakai under time pressure and just with his knife topped a bunch of eggs so the shell could be preserved and used for serving.

I tried it with a few eggs, but failed miserably. Is there some trick to this?

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Did he swipe it off? That sounds impossible on raw eggs!

You can use the point of the heel to carefully crack a hole in it, that's what we did at the sushi bar with quail eggs.

Yeah, they were raw. He sort of poked a little, cut a little, poked some more with the tip and ended up with a near perfect topped egg. Alton seemed impressed too and showed it twice during the show. I was wondering if brown eggs were easier than the white eggs I tried. Or maybe the eggs have to be really fresh.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I could ask him for you. He'll be a guest at an event we're hosting in January.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

doooo it.

White eggs have something to do with it because the shell is slightly thicker, Quail eggs are probably the easiest to do it with. The Technique I use, is the "score" a line around the egg and then slice it off gently. When I say score a line in the egg, I really mean more like make a groove in the egg shell so that when you're cutting through the egg the shell has a clear path to crack along and won't just shatter. Think of it like cutting glass.

Quote Originally Posted by chefofthefuture View Post
    The Technique I use, is the "score" a line around the egg and then slice it off gently. When I say score a line in the egg, I really mean more like make a groove in the egg shell so that when you're cutting through the egg the shell has a clear path to crack along and won't just shatter. Think of it like cutting glass.
    This is the best technique that I have been able to mimic with any success, but if you have to do a lot of eggs there are tools available that make the job much easier.

There are two styles of tools that I know of that work. There is a scissor style one, but you are limited to large chicken eggs. This is generally not a problem for pros, because large eggs is the restaurant standard. It works well but the finished cut is a little rough. Then there is a plunger style that work really nicely. It is basically spring loaded and leaves an impression around the top portion of the egg and then you can remove that piece. I own both and got them at JB Prince.

I love JB Prince, they have a tool for everything.

Karing always starts the most interesting and obscure topics. After reading this I had to give it a try: great success on 1st attempt using the poke/cut/poke method, but maybe it was just luck, because the next 2 attends where total fail. I'm gonna keep messing with this until I "crack" the secret.
    My dog and I are going to be eating alot of eggs over the next few days...